News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

T10 M 4 speed transmission tailshaft ?

Started by acman63, July 23, 2018, 05:24:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acman63

I was sent a transmission for restoration recently for a 600s serial number car.  Has the proper date coded  T10M  aluminum  case.  Tailsahft is cast iron but a 64 date code.  Ive always been of the opinion that all T10M  transmissions  installed in the cars at Shelby were alloy case and tail and any cast iron tails were done by dealers that were repairing cracked alloy tail shafts.  Does anyone know of an original owner T10 M  car that was delivered with a cast iron tail from New?
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

Greg

I will probably get flogged for this :D but.... I have communicated with a couple of 66 owners that state that they know without a shadow of a doubt that their cars came with top loaders from new.  One was since new owner history..  so take it for what it is worth.  My personal opinion (I know its like a** holes, everyone has one), if Shelby needed a trans in order to ship cars, they left the TL in them and sent them down the road because they were having warranty issues with the M's breaking anyway and were in the business of selling cars.
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Greg on July 23, 2018, 06:39:59 PM
I will probably get flogged for this :D but.... I have communicated with a couple of 66 owners that state that they know without a shadow of a doubt that their cars came with top loaders from new.  One was since new..  so take it for what it is worth.  My personal opinion (I know its like a** holes, everyone has one), if Shelby needed a trans in order to ship cars, they left the TL in them and sent them down the road because they were having warranty issues with the M's breaking anyway and were in the business of selling cars.
Just so you know Shelby had no reason to touch the trans in a regular production 65 or 66 GT 350. That was something that Ford installed not Shelby from the get go.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Greg

Thanks Bob, from a drive train perspective, did Shelby only do the intake and headers and Ford did the engine, trans and rear?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Greg on July 23, 2018, 07:42:20 PM
Thanks Bob, from a drive train perspective, did Shelby only do the intake and headers and Ford did the engine, trans and rear?
in the first half of 65 production SA changed the intakes and Detroit locker. SA didn't touch the transmission typically. By 66 Ford installed all of the engine parts like intake valve cover, oil pan etc. on the regular production GT350's. Ford installed the lockers starting in later 65 production.SA didn't typically touch the transmission in 66 ether.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Greg

Thank you Bob, I appreciate the knowledge!

GT350Lad

Did they all have date codes on the cases? Mark I saw photos of 5S003's T10 and it just had a date on the side of the case not next to the t-10M7. Is that just the assembly date and not casting?

Cheers
6S373
6S1276

Hov

Not all the aluminum cases had date codes, the one we used for 003 was the earliest date we had ever seen for a 1964 , 6 bolt application. This was hand stamped on a flange, I have the date written down but it is not in front of me now. This would have been the assembly date, not the date it was cast. Best,
Mark

GT350Lad

6S373
6S1276

Brant

Quote from: acman63 on July 23, 2018, 05:24:18 PM
I was sent a transmission for restoration recently for a 600s serial number car.  Has the proper date coded  T10M  aluminum  case.  Tailsahft is cast iron but a 64 date code.  Ive always been of the opinion that all T10M  transmissions  installed in the cars at Shelby were alloy case and tail and any cast iron tails were done by dealers that were repairing cracked alloy tail shafts.  Does anyone know of an original owner T10 M  car that was delivered with a cast iron tail from New?

Jim,

I can't say for sure, but 6S933 (and several '66 cars in that date range) that I have seen have T10M aluminum main cases with cast iron tail housings, which I think were originally built that way.

The aluminum main case (T10M) on the car is dated Jan. '65 and the case iron tail housing (T10H) is dated late November '65. The assembly date stamping is Jan. '66, which fits perfectly with the other dates on the car.

-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang

Greg

Brant,

Can you break down the A1462.  I get A=Jan but what is the 1462?  Thanks.

Brant

Quote from: Greg on July 24, 2018, 09:27:27 AM
Brant,

Can you break down the A1462.  I get A=Jan but what is the 1462?  Thanks.

A=  January
14=14th day of the month
6=  1966
2=  not sure (maybe the shift#?)
-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang

texas swede

Greg,
Jan 14, 1966, second shift.

Brant, 6S923 has an all aluminum T-10 and assembly date is Dec4, 1965.

By comparing the Hi Po registry the planned ready date is Jan 12, 1966.

Texas Swede

Greg