News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Period pictures, historical perspective

Started by 2112, January 22, 2018, 11:43:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seeing pictures taken back in the day, be it the 60's or 70's often have great information on how the cars were fitted.

This picture came up today on another thread. I had not seen it before. It appears to be a mostly stock, later production, '67 GT500. Note the Thermactor system is in place, but the valve covers are Shelby branded.

Bob, Dave, JD, do you have any background on this picture?

JD

On the old forum there was a few posts regarding that image and a higher-res one too.

It, as you can guess, it was from a magazine article but I don't remember off-hand which magazine.

Yes, a few items are not "correct" and I'm sure Bob G can point them out.  (sorry Bob but looks like another that you are best to address)

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 2112 on January 22, 2018, 11:43:32 AM
Seeing pictures taken back in the day, be it the 60's or 70's often have great information on how the cars were fitted.

This picture came up today on another thread. I had not seen it before. It appears to be a mostly stock, later production, '67 GT500. Note the Thermactor system is in place, but the valve covers are Shelby branded.

It was a article in Popular Mechanics. I believe at least some of the subject matter had to do with changing valve covers.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

67411F--0100-ENG.

Quote from: Bob Gaines on January 22, 2018, 12:57:06 PM
Quote from: 2112 on January 22, 2018, 11:43:32 AM

It was a article in Popular Mechanics. I believe at least some of the subject matter had to do with changing valve covers.

Hello,

I thought the photo was from an article in Popular Hot Rodding or Drag Racer.  Bob may be right with Popular Mechanics, though.  I have the magazine, but don't have time to go find it right now.  The article was about fine tuning (carbs and timing) the GT500 for drag racing.  Probably brought about by the slow 1/4 mile times 0100 turned for Car and Driver, Road and Track, and Sports Car Graphic.

Thanks,
Eric

J_Speegle

Quote from: 67411F--0100-ENG. on January 22, 2018, 01:13:30 PM
I thought the photo was from an article in Popular Hot Rodding or Drag Racer.  .....................

I've got it from Popular Hot Rodding.  Have the mag here on the shelf somewhere  ::)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

If anyone has the hi-res version, could I ask that you e-mail that my direction?

Thanks.

67_1183

If no one else has responded, I have it in 1213 x 1603 425 KB jpg.

If someone has better, I would like it too.
2nd owner of 67 GT500 #1183 since September 1976

JD

Quote from: 67_1183 on January 22, 2018, 08:37:54 PM
If no one else has responded, I have it in 1213 x 1603 425 KB jpg.

If someone has better, I would like it too.

Here is what I have, may not better...

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

s2ms

Think this is the one I originally posted on the crashed forum, best version I have...

Dave - 6S1757

dmg67

Yes Officer, it's a 428 Police Interceptor Engine....

dmg67

Yep, it's a real 1967 Shelby..

Shelby_r_b

Nothing beats a classic!

dmg67

Quote from: s2ms on January 23, 2018, 12:06:19 AM
Think this is the one I originally posted on the crashed forum, best version I have...

.      Thermactor car eh?California?