News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Period pictures, historical perspective

Started by 2112, January 22, 2018, 11:43:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pbf777

Quote from: Side-Oilers on January 04, 2021, 12:21:08 AM
What the heck is dragging on the ground on what looks like rope, under each backup light?

I would guess lanyards looped over the leaf spring and shackles for pulling one back on to the road after an unintended off road excursion.  Remember: "hope for the best, but always plan for the worst"!    ::)

Scott.

gt350hr

Especially when there are road going alligators in your state.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

pbf777

Quote from: gt350hr on January 04, 2021, 04:02:38 PM
   Especially when there are road going alligators in your state.

So true, but the even greater fear in running off the road, assuming you don't hit a tree, is that although you might have run off the alligators (only temporarily of course   ;)  )  when you made your big slash in the muck, but that the muck will slowly swallow your vehicle out of sight!      :o

Scott.

gt350hr

Yes you are also famous for sink holes LOL.

pbf777

Quote from: gt350hr on January 05, 2021, 10:51:15 AM
  Yes you are also famous for sink holes LOL.

Yeah, we had a sinkhole open up here several years ago in Winter Park and it swallowed several of the Porsche cars (note that I added "cars" with an "s" here as I haven't decided if it is correct in pluralizing the German cars' name?   :-\  )  at the German Car Services establishment (google it to see the hole!).  You see, in Kentucky the earth swallows up Chevys (now, I know this is grammatically incorrect, but then Chevy guys just don't seem to get the "ies" part    ::)  ), but here in Florida our sinkholes eat high dollar European sports cars!       8)

Scott.

gt350hr

Scott looks like Matt's 500 is going up for sale next week at the Mecum auction in Kissimee. Might be a bargain! looks like nothing has changed.
   Randy

oldcanuck

I'm being completely honest Sir ....... that's what Ford calls this 428 engine.   Well it did intercept you and your 3 buddies !
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

CSX 4133

Lol !  Since none of the officers have their ticket books out he might get off easy.

pbf777

Quote from: gt350hr on January 07, 2021, 11:06:25 AM
   Scott looks like Matt's 500 is going up for sale next week at the Mecum auction in Kissimee. Might be a bargain! looks like nothing has changed.
   Randy

Well, since the car left here, the little light weight fiberglass wrap-a-round boat (?) seats were swapped for O.E.M. high-backs (O.K......one kinda had to have a narrow arse to fit, as it was often quite like the scene in Ford vs. Ferrari where the "Deuce" plops into the GT40, and says: "damn I just sat on my.......",  but still, you would put a Lazy Boy recliner in your GT40!); the Liberty "crash-box" is gone, replaced with something that is somewhat friendlier in shifting I suppose; the Hone-O-Drive is gone (but last I looked the shifting lever mounted on the trans-tunnel was still there!), but then so are the 4.56's & spool, the 10" wide ET mags with the Hoosier "dirts", these having been traded to something more pedestrian; the 3-1/2" to 4-1/2" to 3" under-axle, out the back, straight pipes have been traded for something somewhat more like what belongs on a street car wanting to avoid signalling for the police with each actuation of the throttle (the old gal sounded like a small block at the roundy-round track, and it would rev that quick!); and speaking of throttles, the 8V C7 intake with the sideways mounted 750 D.P.s has been replaced with a 4V dominator abortion, along with the old S.W. electric fuel pumps gone and traded for a Holley electric (sacrilege!); the Accell BEI tach-drive with yellow box and the Jones tach is now an in your face big red MSD stuff; but, that stupid fuel pressure gauge mounted on the cowl in the chrome "bullet" cup that swivels up & down with the acceleration or deceleration of the car is still there!    :o

The old gal just ain't what she use to be, But then I guess none of us are either!      ::)

Scott.

gt350hr

Next thing will be the hood scoop and all character will be lost! Sad indeed.

pbf777

Quote from: gt350hr on January 08, 2021, 11:19:39 AM
  Next thing will be the hood scoop and all character will be lost! Sad indeed.

Only something a fellow racer with many years invested in their ride would understand!      8)

Scott.

TJinSA

I posted it on the original forum from an issue of Hot Rod Magazine (could have been Pop Hotrodding too)  I still have all the mags, so I will come across it again as I scan them in and dispose of them all
Tom Kubler
6S296

honker

I believe this to be J4 being prepped for Sebring '67, there are a number of '67s in the back ground, also the transporter. Where at

Shelby American was this taken ? Szabo ?

What's going on here ? there is some one in the car also.

Any clearer image of what it says on the side of the lift truck..."Jimmey Clark ????" also looks like the lift truck has a racing stripe

down the side.

Mike

Richstang

Quote from: honker on May 16, 2021, 04:18:40 PM
I believe this to be J4 being prepped for Sebring '67, there are a number of '67s in the back ground, also the transporter. Where at

Shelby American was this taken ? Szabo ?

What's going on here ? there is some one in the car also.

Any clearer image of what it says on the side of the lift truck..."Jimmey Clark ????" also looks like the lift truck has a racing stripe

down the side.

Mike

Mike,
Yes, that photo was taken just before Sebring. It was taken in front of the Race Hanger on the west side of the SAI LAX area.
We can see the sales office in the background. They are finishing details just before loading up to ship out to Florida.
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar