Author Topic: Period pictures, historical perspective  (Read 27358 times)

6T6/7

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Period pictures, historical perspective
« Reply #90 on: May 17, 2021, 01:36:08 PM »
Looks like different wheels than typically seen on the MKIVs?
‘66 6S379, ‘67 GT350 #1661

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 17, 2021, 03:57:12 PM »
 Yes they look like those on the Gulf cars the following year (BRM?).
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Richstang

• View Profile
    • 1967 Shelby Research Group
« Reply #92 on: May 17, 2021, 11:20:41 PM »
The 6-spoke rims show up on J3(?) at the LeMans trails in April 1967. That's the only track I have ever seen them on the MKIV.
At the Trials, the car was also tested on the standard rim were raced on for the rest of the season.

It makes me wonder if the photo Mike (Honker) posted was captioned incorrectly as heading to Sebring.
It might have been heading to France. All the J4 photos at Sebring show the car with the standard MKIV rims.
Could be they were testing both rims versions at LeMans and the 6-spoke didn't make the cut.

What's also strange is the side stripe in Mikes photo doesn't have any 'FORD' lettering on it.
The letters were white at the LeMans trials and body color (yellow) at Sebring.
By the time the MKIV's were at LeMans again in June, they had the reverse C stripes, with the FORD letters just below the stripes.

1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 18, 2021, 10:25:00 AM »
   I believe it had to do with brake cooling issues. The "common" MKIV wheel was designed by Phil Remmington IIRC specifically to grab air and cool the brakes. The MKIV lacked scoops that the MKIIs had ( obviously).
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

mark p

• SAAC Member
  • south NJ - Philly 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 18, 2021, 12:01:43 PM »
   I believe it had to do with brake cooling issues. The "common" MKIV wheel was designed by Phil Remmington IIRC specifically to grab air and cool the brakes. The MKIV lacked scoops that the MKIIs had ( obviously).

+1 (going from memory?)... at one of the Simeone Museum talks about the Mk IVs, I believe that it was stated that each wheel [position] is different - due to the "air grabbing" design plus whatever the F-to-R differences are.
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

Richstang

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 18, 2021, 06:43:16 PM »
I'm not trying to be argumentative but, based on the right side Sebring photo above...
and the left side attached here (also from Sebring)...
with the car rolling forward the fins appear to expel hot air, not grab cool air.

The front brakes appear to be cooled by the large ducts coming in from the nose.
I'm not clear on the rear brakes. It looks like a vertical hose up to the body.

honker

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 19, 2021, 12:03:00 AM »
Rich, I think you are right that the photo is incorrectly captioned as heading to Sebring, when it should read Le Mans. here is a

colour image from the Friedman Shelby GT40 book  with the mistake.

Also a quote about those Mirage style wheels from the April '67 tests at Le Mans from the Ford That beat Ferrari book.

(photo: Dave Friedman)

Mike
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 12:56:10 AM by honker »

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 19, 2021, 07:05:45 AM »
I'm not trying to be argumentative but, based on the right side Sebring photo above...
and the left side attached here (also from Sebring)...
with the car rolling forward the fins appear to expel hot air, not grab cool air.

The front brakes appear to be cooled by the large ducts coming in from the nose.
I'm not clear on the rear brakes. It looks like a vertical hose up to the body.

The treads on those tires look like Pirelli P7's?

I remember trying to buy one of those carburetor air chambers from Holman-Moody. They just hung up the phone! LOL!

The wheels to me always resembled the Shelby 10 spokes. Whether or not the fan effect blows or sucks the air is a good question?

Considering the empirical method upon which some of these details derived, there would be a reason to direct the airflow in or out.

One additional factor to consider would be that these cars would also need to be run in the rain. Under severe conditions wet brakes are lethal also. Drying the brakes would also be a consideration of the air flow.

I wouldn't put any of these considerations past Mr. Remington.

Those header tubes are at least 2". I think 2-1/8"? Anyone know the exact dimensions?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 07:40:04 AM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 19, 2021, 10:51:50 AM »
Morphing warning: isn't this the 67 GT 350/500 thread? What happened?

honker

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 19, 2021, 10:57:42 AM »
I guess I side tracked the thread by posting the pic of the '67s behind the Mk. 1V   ::)

back to our regular program !

Mike

Richstang

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 19, 2021, 01:04:30 PM »
Roddster is right, we are off the track.

Moderator  (if there is one reading this.)
The recent posts about the MKIV should be moved into the original GT40 section, where they can be appreciated.
(started at 4:18 pm on May 16th)

honker

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 28, 2021, 03:25:14 PM »
not a picture, but '67 paper work. Not sure if it's been up here before ?

Mike

honker

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 22, 2021, 11:12:13 AM »
I think I found these on the old forum, might have been posted before, maybe by FL SAAC ? Sorry they are so small, and the

resolution is lousy, I didn't enlarge them.

The info with the photos said it's car #26 taken in Florida 1968, from the registry the car was originally sold there. I stand to be

corrected on the I.D.

Mike

« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 11:14:03 AM by honker »

Bill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 22, 2021, 11:25:36 AM »
Roddster is right, we are off the track.

Moderator  (if there is one reading this.)
The recent posts about the MKIV should be moved into the original GT40 section, where they can be appreciated.
(started at 4:18 pm on May 16th)

Please reach out to "forum guide", as he is the only global moderator/admin with access to split out the topics in this specific subforum.  8)
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 22, 2021, 11:36:09 AM »
I think I found these on the old forum, might have been posted before, maybe by FL SAAC ? Sorry they are so small, and the resolution is lousy, I didn't enlarge them.

The info with the photos said it's car #26 taken in Florida 1968, from the registry the car was originally sold there. I stand to be

corrected on the I.D.

Mike

I posted those originally, they are of the car I had ('67 GT350 car #26) as noted in the image file names.

I contacted all the previous owners of the car and those were sent to me by the first owner.  He bought the car (as he told me on the phone) one day when he took his '62 Ford convertible in for service at JD Ball Ford (Miami, FL) and saw the Shelby on the delivery truck while he was waiting for his car to get done.  He bought it and traded-in the '62.  That was November 11th of 1966 (Veterans Day).

The photso were of him participating in a speed event in Florida in 1968 as noted.

He had numerous great memories of the car, one of which was driving to Montana and at night really opening it up on a dark highway as there was no traffic - He said that car really liked to run.

He and his wife sold the car in 1971 to fund an around-the-world trip.

The car was on the cover of the 2015 Spring Shelby American and a story on the car on page 29.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 12:22:30 PM by JD »
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0