Author Topic: Period pictures, historical perspective  (Read 27359 times)

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Period pictures, historical perspective
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2020, 10:25:19 AM »
What is this (Red Arrow) 

It’'s a junction block that was used only on early cars. It was sourced from aircraft supply.  On later cars a black one was used that was a Ford part.

photo of this early junction aircraft part... (later this was changed to use a Ford Lincoln part that is black)

Edit - here is a image of both versions for reference
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 10:14:43 AM by JD »
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2020, 11:16:13 AM »
On the 67 battery J-bolt finish issue I have some nos c5az autolite packaged j-bolts (only ones I ever found in the old autolite package) and they have a whiteish powder like coating over the phosphate that makes them look silverish in color in that picture however the coating would dissolve after getting wet a few times and disappear. I think from new these j-bolts originally had this coating to protect them from battery acid or whatever. I showed my nos j-bolts to Mr G. years ago as he still is claiming the 67 j-bolts were cad plated but nobody has ever found any used cad plated and I had collected about 50 original of these over the years most from out west rustfree or new take offs and none were cad plated and there is no ford part # change only one c5az # used from 65 to 69. What is it THEY say extraordinary CLAIMS require extraordinary PROOF!!
Whitish powder? I wish you had a picture of the ones you showed me to show to others reading. The ones you showed me looked like only half covered. They had a white minimal dusting of something but not entirely white/white which they would have to be to show up as pronounced as those in the black and white picture. Instead you could still see the gray zinc phosphate underneath. It appeared to be more like corrosion of some type to me.  That is why you didn't convince me . I have always theorized that the J bolts had been done for a short period of time in more protective zinc silver like many other bolts ,screws brackets etc. of the same time period and then found to be too expensive and transitioned to less expensive ,less protected zinc phosphate coating instead. The zinc silver would show up bright in the black in white photos like the example . What is more likely ? Zinc silver plating like many other fasteners were plated in the engine compartment ? Or some obscure whitish powder that no one has seen used before? Also which would be the more extraordinary claim?  ;) .   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

rcgt350

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2020, 12:36:16 PM »
I know this is off track, but can we assume that the Alternator fan and Pulley were painted black on 67 GT 350’s ? I’m quite sure I’ve seen a few, what I felt were original untouched cars like that, but I don’t have pictures to back it up.

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2020, 12:47:24 PM »
     Bob,
        Back in the '70s I bought two ( C4"H"Z) hold down bolts ( 3/8ths thread) that were dull zinc or cad plated. They were in a brownish red /tan envelope FoMoCo block lettered, not blue / grey. I don't have a truck MPC to see what they were for but they were perfect for a Boss 429 battery tray I was using at the time. I had never seen another one that was zinc /cad plated.
     Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2020, 02:42:51 PM »
I know this is off track, but can we assume that the Alternator fan and Pulley were painted black on 67 GT 350’s ? I’m quite sure I’ve seen a few, what I felt were original untouched cars like that, but I don’t have pictures to back it up.
Black is not typical IMHO in 67 production however pretty undeniable in the picture.  The transition to the gold pulley and fan started taking place in later 66 production.  I would hesitate to black on anything but the earliest 67 however. We know that the change over was completed to the use of the gold chromate in 67 and didn't change back from examples. What can be said is that the black fan/pulley was at least correct on that specific car. Any cars going forward it gets iffier and iffier. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2020, 03:37:47 PM »
I have little to add other than a couple more early pictures of 67's, which I'm sure some on here have seen before...

Sorry I do not know exactly where I got them from to give proper attribution.

One of the image names has '962', which I assume is the Shelby #
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 03:40:34 PM by CharlesTurner »
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2020, 05:43:02 PM »
You can only assume they were black on very early GT350's and some GT500's.Later production were all gold.  Pictures of 0050 and 0100 show a black fan/pulley . Why I am not sure because up until those pictures research seem to confirm the transition to the gold happened in later 66 production.At the very least there was a time in early 67 production when they were using the last of the black finish fans and pulleys. Pictures of later production 67 cars show gold.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2020, 05:46:40 PM »
Here is a close up of the battery J bolts on 0100 from a 1967 picture. You can see the zinc silver J bolts which show up as white and the darker gray scale nuts that were zinc phosphate.I don't have any reason to believe Ford used that zinc silver finish for much longer.

« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2020, 08:04:25 PM »
Shelby #1210 in 1967 Outside WHOO Radio in FL

honker

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 03, 2021, 11:08:41 PM »
Once again why looking for some thing else  ;) I came across some images on Flicker of a '67 GT350 in the 1971 Press On

Regardless Rally. This info is from Road & Track magazine, March 1972. The car was entered by Bert Eisenhour w navigator

Warren Harder, both from Chicago. They won class IV (over 2 liter) after sustaining damage to the left side of the car from hitting a

tree, can be seen in the pics.

I had a quick look through my 2011 Registry, and couldn't find those names. I'm sure some one here can put a # to this car.

I will put up the photos in two posts.

Mike
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 11:19:43 PM by honker »

honker

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 03, 2021, 11:12:54 PM »
One more of the '67 GT350 in the Press on Regardless Rally, 1971, and part of the write up from Road & Track, March 1972

where the car is mentioned, bottom of the left column, and top of the right.

I like where the navigator asks the driver to roll up his window because it was a bit draughty  ::) then they discovered a big hole in

the side of the car  ;D

Mike
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 11:18:34 PM by honker »

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 04, 2021, 12:21:08 AM »
What the heck is dragging on the ground on what looks like rope, under each backup light?
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #72 on: January 04, 2021, 12:56:24 AM »
What the heck is dragging on the ground on what looks like rope, under each backup light?

Likely plugs that went in the end of the exhaust pipes when they forded large streams  ::)

Heck it's a WAG LOL
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Richstang

• View Profile
    • 1967 Shelby Research Group
« Reply #73 on: January 04, 2021, 09:24:16 AM »
One more of the '67 GT350 in the Press on Regardless Rally, 1971, and part of the write up from Road & Track, March 1972

where the car is mentioned, bottom of the left column, and top of the right.

I like where the navigator asks the driver to roll up his window because it was a bit draughty  ::) then they discovered a big hole in

the side of the car  ;D

Mike

Excellent; photos and article. I was just discussing this car and the rally over the weekend.
Thanks for posting all of this!
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 04, 2021, 10:09:10 AM »
  I've seen this car with the crushed-in quarter a long time ago.  It was displayed at the Chicago-area SCCA booth during one of the Chicago Auto shows in the early 1970's.