News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

GT 1 where old trans am cars went as old racecars

Started by gt350shelb, December 04, 2023, 08:38:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gt350shelb

Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

CSX4781

Phil,
  I assume that's Erich Bollmans car from back in the day.

Lots of old A & B Production and A Sedan cars ended up in GT-1 too. My 67 Mustang was in the process of being built in 1979 as an A Sedan car but wasn't finished until 1980, just in time for the class changes. I actually have the SCCA logbook to it (Charlotte region), all I do with it is autocross and open track events (and haven't even done those in a while). It was amateur built, but they did a nice job (roll cage was done at Holman Moody and the chassis was modified using the Boss 302 Chassis Manual as a guide). Not a huge racing history but still a cool car.

Dave

propayne

Beautiful and super cool A Sedan Mustang Dave - I would love to come out and see it in person sometime!

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

tesgt350

shelbymann1970

Quote from: gt350shelb on December 04, 2023, 08:38:55 PM

It looks like the 16 on the hood was removable as in it isn't cut so you can open the hood?
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: tesgt350 on January 08, 2024, 09:28:41 AM
Dave, can you still buy those Fender Flares?
Probably metal. Titus used some trailer fenders on the Pontiacs.
You can divide TA into several eras.
1 - "stock" looking metal bodies built from production cars
2 - big fender era - Wheel width limit changed. Still production cars but can use fiberglass for bolt on body parts. Early on they still required all metal for the flares.
3 - Silhouette era - tube frame cars that side view is "stock" early ones of these required factory metal roof panels - 80" width limit Fox & later (313" engine)
4 - Modern era - 2 divisions basically a spec series with sealed motors and set chassis design.

GT1 and TA were built to the same rules. TA was the SCCA pro series and GT1 was the SCCA Club series. Many GT1 cars rans some TA races to help them fill the fields. Tracing that history is tough. My car is said to have run a Portland TA race (while still wearing its Fox body) after the original owner sold it but the local SCCA Club doesn't have a records archive. Now SCCA has eased the GT1 specs to allow 358" NASCAR engines. Those were pretty cheap and plentiful. (They licensed the TA series and it's being run separate)
When the guy built my car he chose the Speedway Engineering chassis that the DeAtley Camaros were running. He bought a Mustang roof from Ford and took it to them to modify the upper cage to fit. At some point it was changed to the SN95 body. It has a 310" Cleveland (destroked Motorsport pillow block - A3 Motorsport heads) with about 650 horse so it'd be out gunned by an 800 horse 358" today.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

roddster

Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: Bob Gaines on January 08, 2024, 09:12:11 PM
Maier Racing has been selling them for at least 40 years   https://www.maierracing.com/shop/fiberglass/individual-parts/flares/
Around 1976-7 I put a set on 843 to clean up the butcher job a previous owner did to clear the 10" wide wheels on each corner.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

CSX4781

As 98SVT- was 06GT noted, mine are steel, although the rears do resemble the Maier Racing flares (I had a 1965 that someone had installed a set on). Mine aren't the beautiful, hand formed flares you used to see, although they were done nicely (two sections per flare, and minimal body filler) and have held up nicely (built and painted 37 years ago). Appreciate the positive comments on the car, and yes Phillip, you are welcome to come down and visit anytime (at least whenever you can catch me here)- Give me a shout sometime.

Thanks,
Dave