News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

'67 Nightmist over Parchment

Started by 2112, July 26, 2018, 09:59:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug C

Quote from: capecodmustang.com on August 01, 2018, 01:56:26 PM
VIN's Not Advertised....

For years and years I never advertised the VIN for cars I was selling.
There's a couple reasons

First, I'd receive many inquires via email asking for the VIN from buyers all over the country.
However, most of these "buyers" just wanted to look it up in the registry.
I always figured if you're really interested in purchasing you would just call and discuss the car.

Second, many of the vehicles I've had were projects and in need of restoration.  Some are worse than others.
Many new owners didn't want the VIN and photos of their car on the internet.
I became somewhat sympathetic to that argument.

It's like photos of your wife before your were married floating around...(if you know what I mean)

I've never refused to give a VIN of a car I've owned.
You just might have to call and ask for it.

Just my .02.   Totally agree with Bret
Bret

Bob Gaines

Quote from: capecodmustang.com on August 01, 2018, 01:56:26 PM
VIN's Not Advertised....

For years and years I never advertised the VIN for cars I was selling.
There's a couple reasons

First, I'd receive many inquires via email asking for the VIN from buyers all over the country.
However, most of these "buyers" just wanted to look it up in the registry.
I always figured if you're really interested in purchasing you would just call and discuss the car.

Second, many of the vehicles I've had were projects and in need of restoration.  Some are worse than others.
Many new owners didn't want the VIN and photos of their car on the internet.
I became somewhat sympathetic to that argument.

It's like photos of your wife before your were married floating around...(if you know what I mean)

I've never refused to give a VIN of a car I've owned.
You just might have to call and ask for it.

Just my .02

Bret
Of course this sentiment is more relevant to basket case or damaged cars then it is to undamaged restored cars.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bigfoot

Quote from: Richstang on July 26, 2018, 11:03:42 PM
Hey!!!

I think this was Powell's old car #0624.

Sure looks nice in the photos!

General Powell?
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

J_Speegle

Quote from: Bob Gaines on August 01, 2018, 06:42:28 PM
Of course this sentiment is more relevant to basket case or damaged cars then it is to undamaged restored cars.   

Guess it depends on what the pictures show ;) 

Plenty of discussion of "restored" cars over the years here and plenty of observations, comments and such that would not be seen as positives looking back or at the time.

IMHO just depends on the car.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

67_1183

Quote from: Bob Gaines on August 01, 2018, 06:30:09 PM
I don't even know if there was a previous registrar.

George Rutledge is what I remember.  Sound familiar to others?
2nd owner of 67 GT500 #1183 since September 1976

Richstang

Quote from: Bob Gaines on August 01, 2018, 06:30:09 PM
Quote from: Richstang on August 01, 2018, 03:53:45 PM
Quote from: gt350cs on August 01, 2018, 01:48:57 PM
So is the VIN stamped wrong or is the interior listed wrong? I have #624 VIN as 67402F2U00624 in my records, which would agree with what looks like the proper interior.

Does anyone have more information on this?

Thanks,
Dennis

Dennis you're one step ahead of me. I was about to thank Jeff "67_1183" for posting the photos and link when I noticed that "A" trim too!
The DSO 84-2538 is listed having cars with parchment "U" trim, but that "A" in the VIN raised the question.

Curiously there are 4 other cars in this "parchment interior "U" DSO noted with Black "A" trim?
67402F5A00504
67402F8A00608
67402F8A00617
67402F8A00621

Does anyone know if Dave M. or the previous registrar addressed those as possible VIN stamp errors too?
I suppose for the most accurate info it would be best to ask Dave M directly . He responds when emailed. FYI he has been registrar for many decades now. I don't even know if there was a previous registrar.

I know Dave has been the registrar for a long time. I recall reading about the person before him, but have no idea how far back that was.

He is certainly the best source for getting accurate info on the Shelby VIN questions, I just try not to bother him too often.
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

gt350cs

Just want to add to Bob's comment about Dave M. He has always been very helpful and has helped me more times than I can count. The more I study the information in the latest Registry, the more I find needing to be corrected. Don't get me wrong. I appreciate all the effort that was put into the Registry and it is the BEST source of information readily available to all. But there are still some errors to be found such as this VIN plate stamping we are discussing.

While I am at it, I want to give a shout out to Nancy. She too has always been a great help and source of information.

I try not to be a pest, but at times I just can't help it. By the way if you haven't purchased the copies of the paperwork on your cars remember that they have many documents available at a fair price as do other Registrars.

These people work very hard for very little recognition. By the way Bob has been more than a help to me in the past as well. His knowledge about these cars is amazing.

Thanks to all that contribute to keeping us on track... pun intended!

Dennis

67_1183

2nd owner of 67 GT500 #1183 since September 1976

Richstang

Hackensack!

Good thing that was 38 years ago, or my next visit in that north eastern part of the state would have had me knocking on his front door.
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Bob Gaines

Quote from: J_Speegle on August 01, 2018, 06:58:00 PM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on August 01, 2018, 06:42:28 PM

Guess it depends on what the pictures show ;) 

Plenty of discussion of "restored" cars over the years here and plenty of observations, comments and such that would not be seen as positives looking back or at the time.

IMHO just depends on the car.
That why I said "undamaged restored cars" . ;)
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

stangman39

Quote from: Richstang on August 01, 2018, 08:15:19 PM
Hackensack!

"And my machine, she's a dud, out stuck in the mud somewhere in the swamps of Jersey"