News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Look what a friend sent me.

Started by BGlover67, July 27, 2018, 04:24:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BGlover67

I just received an email from a friend who was on vacation in Alaska.  He stumbled upon these Cobras at the Exit Glacier Lodge in Seward, Alaska and asked if I might know the red one as it had NC plates.  I informed him that it was owned by Tom Cotter, a well known member of SAAC.  I guess they are touring Alaska.   How amazing is that?  So for all you Shelby owners who are afraid to drive your cars to the next cars and coffee, take some advice from these guys.

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

As someone told once, "they're a car damn it, drive it, it won't melt"
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

Greg

That is awesome, thanks for sharing! 

For the longest time I had a hard time understanding why someone wouldn't drive their car (I drive all of mine).  I finally came to accept the fact that for some people, cars are more like art.  You wouldn't take an expensive painting to a family outing or to a restaurant to show your friends.  A friend of mine that has a lot of rare cars keeps them all covered and they never see the light.  I questioned him why, he said that it caused him stress to get them dirty or dusty so he just doesn't take them out but enjoyed "owning" them. 

The key word is stress, driving the cars wasn't his idea of fun, finding, restoring and owning them and keeping them "perfect" made him happy.  Although that is not me, it was at that time I said "to each his own".
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

GT350Lad

Quote from: Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas on July 27, 2018, 07:03:15 AM

Steve love your style!  8)
6S373
6S1276

Brant

-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang

Corey Bowcutt

That is so cool!  To be in Alaska would cool enough but to stumble on 3 cobras while there would be icing on the cake.

I definitely fall into the drive it camp.  Not nearly as much as my neighbor Steve but he is training me.  But I can understand on some level the beauty of keeping a car pristine.  I have just enough OCD to appreciate that for sure.  I imagine if I hit the $500M jackpot I would own a trailer queen to set in my living room to admire on a daily basis but I would have to have nice drivers as well.

QuickSilverShelby

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

silverton_ford

Quote from: QuickSilverShelby on July 27, 2018, 08:58:32 AM
Quote from: Brant on July 27, 2018, 08:48:46 AM
Is that like the "Dan Gurney bubble" on the GT 40's?  Allow for some extra head room? :D

QSS

A bear ripped open the top during the night time.  He smelled some Fig Newtons that were behind the seat.

Shelby_r_b

Quote from: Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas on July 27, 2018, 07:03:15 AM

LOVE it!!!

When I finally got my 67 back from restoration (I had only test driven it once prior to buying and having it restored) I decided to drive it to work the next day. As luck would have it, it was raining / misting. I couldn't help myself - I drove it to work anyway.

I'll never forget that drive!
Nothing beats a classic!

FL SAAC

Quote from: BGlover67 on July 27, 2018, 04:24:11 AM
I just received an email from a friend who was on vacation in Alaska.  He stumbled upon these Cobras at the Exit Glacier Lodge in Seward, Alaska and asked if I might know the red one as it had NC plates.  I informed him that it was owned by Tom Cotter, a well known member of SAAC.  I guess they are touring Alaska.   How amazing is that?  So for all you Shelby owners who are afraid to drive your cars to the next cars and coffee, take some advice from these guys.

+ 1 love it
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

BGlover67

Tom said he's there with Woody  (no. 145, an early '67 GT350) and he left some fig Newtons on the seat.  I guess Woody has to foot the bill.

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

Side-Oilers

Very lucky it wasn't a larger (or hungrier) bear.  Would hate to see what damage it could do to the car if sufficiently motivated.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

Just think if a squirrel had been trapped inside