Author Topic: Look what a friend sent me.  (Read 9660 times)

Sfm6sxxx

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Look what a friend sent me.
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2018, 07:07:14 PM »
Apparently, Ranger Smith has lost track of Yogi & BooBoo.

6S1114

tesgt350

• View Profile
    • BLACK HAT PERFORMANCE
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2018, 08:27:52 PM »
Is that like the "Dan Gurney bubble" on the GT 40's?  Allow for some extra head room? :D

QSS

A bear ripped open the top during the night time.  He smelled some Fig Newtons that were behind the seat.

Not to many Cobra Owners can say that an Alaskan Bear attacked their Cobra.

gt350shelb

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2018, 08:44:23 PM »
You  don't  get stories like this chasing a trophy  in  the ball room .   8)
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

A-Snake

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2018, 09:58:19 PM »
Just to correct an earlier post, there are four not three Cobras touring Alaska. All are 289's

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2018, 10:41:30 PM »
You  don't  get stories like this chasing a trophy  in  the ball room .   8)
++++++++++++++++1

There is a group of Cobra owners that get together every year for a road trip. Exclusive/mysterious I bet they all get a phone call in the middle of the night - gumball.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 04:07:25 PM by 98SVT - was 06GT »
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

A-Snake

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2018, 09:12:44 AM »
It's actually very well organized  😎When dealing with 15 to 20 cars and 30 or 40 people
Choosing routes that include gas stations to serve that many cars in a timely manner becomes important.

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2018, 11:48:57 AM »
Geez.  That'll be fun explaining to the insurance company!  ;D
Nothing beats a classic!

sg66

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2018, 12:03:07 PM »
To add some color to this, I was up there for a few weeks last month and the scenery is incredible. It would make for a great summer road trip even in a Pinto but in a Cobra...wow!

This is where they would have stopped to put their tops on (cruise ship side) as it is routine to only let 1 lane of cars or a train through at a time due to how narrow the tunnel is.

The only bear I saw in 2 weeks including Denali was off in the distance from the train somewhere around where these guys appeared to stay, go figure.

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile

Chad

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2018, 03:45:14 PM »
Is that like the "Dan Gurney bubble" on the GT 40's?  Allow for some extra head room? :D

QSS

A bear ripped open the top during the night time.  He smelled some Fig Newtons that were behind the seat.

Not to many Cobra Owners can say that an Alaskan Bear attacked their Cobra.

Not to many Cobra owners want to say that!

6s2020

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2018, 05:48:53 AM »
Instead of the animal eating the car , this one is the car eating the animal, a Kangaroo.
Not uncommon here in OZ, the son in law seems to clean one up every shift change on his trips in and out to the mine.

honker

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2018, 08:18:01 AM »
The Cobra and bear story even got mention on CBC radio (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) on my local station in Toronto.

Mike

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2018, 10:33:23 AM »
Pretty sure President Trump brought it up in one of his tweets:

Donald J. Trump

Tweeter >realDonaldTrump

The Fake News Media is going CRAZY! They are totally unhinged and in many ways, after witnessing first hand the damage they do to so many innocent and decent people, I enjoy watching. In 7 years, when I am no longer in office, their ratings will dry up and they will be gone! Did you check out the Shelby torn open by a bear? #Shelby#Bear
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2018, 09:16:34 PM »
You know a story has come full circle when it shows up as a link at the bottom of one of those click bait websites.  Gotta love the title on it though:

https://95octane.com/2018/07/30/1965-shelby-cobra-bear-attack/

1965 Shelby Cobra Mauled by Asshole Bear

Bears. As cool as they are, they can be complete assholes. They regularly eat post offices and Outbacks here in Colorado. They go through the trash, and generally make a nuisance of themselves. Despite being cute, they will eat you too if cornered. Killing Subarus is one thing. They are literally everywhere in Colorado. Killing a 1965 Shelby Cobra, on the other hand, is well… over the line.

Sadly, that’s exactly what happened to Tom Cotter, the host of a show on Hagerty called Barn Find Hunter. He was taking an epic Alaskan road trip in his 1965 Shelby Cobra. Cotter had the top up because they had to drive through an area where rocks were known to fall. But when he went to park the car with the roof up, he apparently had forgotten about some Fig Newtons he had in the car.

The only thing between the Grizzly bear and those Fig Newtons was the Shelby’s original 1965 convertible top. The bear wasted no time opening that old vinyl to get at the yummy cookies inside. The car was mostly fine other than the top.

“The car’s top had survived 53 years unscathed, but couldn’t make it 11 days in Alaska,” Cotter says. “I’ve got bigger problems, anyway. My clutch hydraulics went out, so I’ve convinced a guy to let me borrow his airplane hangar for a bit to fix things. I’ve got work to do.”
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

sfm5s081

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2018, 09:54:12 PM »
I wonder if the bear had insurance. What a story! MAd props for Tom and the other guys for actually driving their cars. Of course Old Shel would be smiling!