News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

5S228 Stories

Started by mygt350, July 27, 2018, 10:03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mygt350

Not long after purchasing my car from a used car lot, I broke a valve spring and took it to the local Ford dealership for repair. Couple minutes after leaving car in shop, got visit from Service Manager wanting to know who removed the metal plate on drivers door and filled in the holes so well. They would not work on it because their rules required data plate information that just wasn't there, never was.
Even though it was a 65, the spring broke in 67 and apparently, Ford dealership did not understand why the plate was "missing". Thought they were going to call Barney on me for removing VIN numbers. Especially since other vin number on fender was covered by some small alum plate with rivets and a cute hood proper upper.
Martin
5S228

Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967

Bob Gaines

Quote from: mygt350 on July 27, 2018, 10:03:21 PM
Not long after purchasing my car from a used car lot, I broke a valve spring and took it to the local Ford dealership for repair. Couple minutes after leaving car in shop, got visit from Service Manager wanting to know who removed the metal plate on drivers door and filled in the holes so well. They would not work on it because their rules required data plate information that just wasn't there, never was.
Even though it was a 65, the spring broke in 67 and apparently, Ford dealership did not understand why the plate was "missing". Thought they were going to call Barney on me for removing VIN numbers. Especially since other vin number on fender was covered by some small alum plate with rivets and a cute hood proper upper.
Martin
5S228
FYI the holes would have been there because the data plate was removed at SA. Sometimes one or both rivets stayed in the holes when the plate was pried off with a screw driver by SA employees.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

GT350Lad

Love it Martin, "some strange aluminium plate" was covering the VIN
:D
6S373
6S1276

mygt350

Will have to take closer look and see if rivets and/or holes are there. After all, that was like 50 years ago.

Shelby_r_b

Quote from: mygt350 on July 27, 2018, 10:03:21 PM
Martin
5S228

Now THAT'S funny!

Of course, it's funnier now than it would have been in 1967. ;D
Nothing beats a classic!

mygt350

Had forgot to pull cover off old 5S228 and check drivers door for rivets or holes. As usual, Bob is correct. Rivets are still there but no plate on door.
Martin
5S228

mygt350

In the late 60's, we did a LOT of drag racing in my home town. There were straight axle 55 chebys with really nasty engines, GTO's, and of course, the Corvettes driving the 2 miles from one end of town, turn around and do it again, all night long. Then it was time to make a run to the local gas station I worked at to pull the lazy 3:89 and swap it for a 5:14, open the headers and add a set of M&H wrinkle walls. Could do it in 45 minutes. Then, slip over to the local pizza hut and pick a race (victim) and lighten their load. After all, it was a plain no badge white mustang so it couldn't be that fast. Oh yes it could. Had to throttle it back just enough to let them get close, but not too close. After all, there was always the double or nothing rematch....The "Twin Bridges" was the place to be in that little North Texas town on a Saturday night.  Friday night was reserved ya know for other things...Saturday night was RESERVED. Cars came from Dallas 75 miles south of there on trailers to teach those boys up there a lesson. Sometimes they did. 

GT350Lad

Awesome stories Martin! 5.14! That's insane!  :D
6S373
6S1276

mygt350

Sometimes, after doing a serious burnout on mainstreet at night and blocking traffic both ways until smoke cleared, had to make a hasty exit until things calmed down, somewhat. Decided I need to make a small panel out of plexiglass and add 2 toggle switches that could be used to "interrupt" taillights, brake lights and turn signals. "Several times, had to be reminded to turn taillights back on. Don't understand it but got pulled over for no taillights. Must be a short because when I got out and made it to rear of car, officer just could not understand what was happening. But the taillights are on officer. Are you sure you stopped the right car? Illegal, yep. I still have that little switch panel and just smile every time I see it.

GT350Lad

Martin your a legend! Good memories  8)
6S373
6S1276

texas swede

Hi Martin,
Great stories about a great car and great guy.
Thanks,
Texas Swede

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: mygt350 on July 27, 2018, 10:03:21 PMThought they were going to call Barney on me for removing VIN numbers. Especially since other vin number on fender was covered by some small alum plate with rivets and a cute hood proper upper.
Had a similar Ford vs Shelby problem with 6S843 - got stopped by CHP who kept saying I had removed my smog equipment and gave me a ticket listing make as FORD. Wouldn't listen when I pointed out make on registration was GT350. Went to court asked to see judge. He asked is it fixed - no. Need more time - no. Why isn't it fixed - nothing wrong. What - let me explain read the ticket - read the registration - look at this exemption letter reprinted in the owners manual. Dismissed started carrying copy of manual in car after that.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

deathsled

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on October 04, 2018, 01:30:44 PM
Quote from: mygt350 on July 27, 2018, 10:03:21 PMThought they were going to call Barney on me for removing VIN numbers. Especially since other vin number on fender was covered by some small alum plate with rivets and a cute hood proper upper.
Had a similar Ford vs Shelby problem with 6S843 - got stopped by CHP who kept saying I had removed my smog equipment and gave me a ticket listing make as FORD. Wouldn't listen when I pointed out make on registration was GT350. Went to court asked to see judge. He asked is it fixed - no. Need more time - no. Why isn't it fixed - nothing wrong. What - let me explain read the ticket - read the registration - look at this exemption letter reprinted in the owners manual. Dismissed started carrying copy of manual in car after that.
I love that story! I should compile some more related stories around 6s843 and put them in a book.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

GT350Lad

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on October 04, 2018, 01:30:44 PM

Great story  ;)
6S373
6S1276