Author Topic: shock hardware differences.  (Read 3420 times)

cbrown

• View Profile
shock hardware differences.
« on: July 29, 2018, 09:17:46 AM »
Can we do a  quick refresher as to when coarse thread and finish started on shocks?  I have shock hardware kits completed  and would like to get my info correct before I list them. 

I thought it was always 67 fine and then 68-70 coarse.  But I  attained some info from reliable source that leads me to believe 68 had fine also.

chris

kingchief

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: shock hardware differences.
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 10:06:20 AM »
HI!  There is a nice Mustang Hardware spreadsheet available on the Concours Mustang Forum in the "Library" section.  It is very complete and informative.

Cheers,

Steve
SFM 6S406

68blk500c

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 11:39:20 AM »
Can we do a  quick refresher as to when coarse thread and finish started on shocks?  I have shock hardware kits completed  and would like to get my info correct before I list them. 

I thought it was always 67 fine and then 68-70 coarse.  But I  attained some info from reliable source that leads me to believe 68 had fine also.

chris

Chris:  I will confirm the original 68 Shelbys I've seen were fine thread.  Recently ran into some variances on factory hardware finishes, plus variances in NOS kit.
Don

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 02:05:32 PM »

Chris if your including Mustangs and Shelby's coarse verses fine typically depends on supplier (where the shock was made) and different car assembly plants were supplied by different shock plants depending on year. Add to this that with Shelby's you only had one or two styles of shocks each year so those are much easier to narrow down. Just depends on what year, car and plant your looking for for discussing. 

But with that said fine is what your looking for for 68 Shelby's I believe

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

cbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2018, 02:35:24 PM »
OK,  thank you all for input.   I will to mustang site and search for the  reference unless someone would so kind as to send me the link.   

So on shelbys then 67 -68 fine thread and silver cad finish?

then 69-70 phosphate  and coarse?

I have all the rubber bushings and washers for front and rear  made and trying to figure out how to package  to make easy.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2018, 04:45:06 PM »
OK,  thank you all for input.   I will to mustang site and search for the  reference unless someone would so kind as to send me the link.   

then 69-70 phosphate  and coarse?

I have all the rubber bushings and washers for front and rear  made and trying to figure out how to package  to make easy.
The course thread did not change (front and rear) on 69 Shelby until the change to the white shocks. The exception being the regular Mustang shocks used on the GT500 4 speed during that time.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2018, 08:48:12 PM »
i dont think the cad to phos plating had anything to do with fine to coarse thread hardware more of when ford decided to completely change all undercarrage hardware over to phos in the later 60s era.

kingchief

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 06:09:36 PM »
Here is the link [I think!]. You must be a member of the Concours Mustang forum to access it.

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?board=22.0

Good luck!

Steve
SFM 6S406

TLea

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2018, 07:20:59 AM »
68 KR 4spd rears coarse thread/phosphate.