News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

COBRA Air Cleaner Assembly 1967 Shelby GT500 after Car 600

Started by Kent, January 24, 2024, 01:14:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bob Gaines on January 25, 2024, 11:21:10 AM
Quote from: shelbydoug on January 25, 2024, 09:57:19 AM
I don't see the dimples for the wing nuts.

I'd like to see a detail, up close of the PCV tube. Those seem to be unique to those air cleaners?
The sand cast base had two types of PCV fittings used one was a right angle fitting (early)and the other a sweeping curved fitting (later) . The diecast base only used the sweeping curved fitting. The thing that separates these from all of the repros I have ever seen is that the factory base fittings are crimped in place but can swivel although typically with considerable effort. Repro base pcv fittings are typically cast in place with no way to move them

Mine is broken off. Do I need to make a new one myself or does someone have them premade already?

I tried to replace it by cutting one off of a steel air cleaner but the Shelby base is too thick or the tube is too short to be long enough to crimp/peen over like an original installation.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on January 25, 2024, 11:46:32 AM

I'd like to see a detail, up close of the PCV tube. Those seem to be unique to those air cleaners?
The sand cast base had two types of PCV fittings used one was a right angle fitting (early)and the other a sweeping curved fitting (later) . The diecast base only used the sweeping curved fitting. The thing that separates these from all of the repros I have ever seen is that the factory base fittings are crimped in place but can swivel although typically with considerable effort. Repro base pcv fittings are typically cast in place with no way to move them

Mine is broken off. Do I need to make a new one myself or does someone have them premade already?

I tried to replace it by cutting one off of a steel air cleaner but the Shelby base is too thick or the tube is too short to be long enough to crimp/peen over like an original installation.
Nothing has changed since the last time you brought this up. You are going to have to think outside of the box on this one. Maybe something along the lines of brazing enough of a extension on to the donor fitting so that you have material to peen over.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bob Gaines on January 25, 2024, 03:50:46 PM
Quote from: shelbydoug on January 25, 2024, 11:46:32 AM

Nothing has changed since the last time you brought this up. You are going to have to think outside of the box on this one. Maybe something along the lines of brazing enough of a extension on to the donor fitting so that you have material to peen over.

I would always prefer to just install the part rather then fabricate it. One never knows if someone found a box of these esoteric parts or not unless they ask?  ;)

I could always go into production on them and corner the market for the one or two people on the planet that need them? :)

I have not seen any of the reproduction parts with the tubes installed. They all seem to just offer a do it yourself solution?

I am in agreement that an indexing of thread subjects would be more the helpful so as not to repeat the same subjects however I think there is just some confusion at times on my part since searches rarely show any kind of a directory and although I realize some subjects have been covered BUT was it on Forum 1.0 which crashed or this current one?

No one is compelling you to respond.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

BDT 739

Two years ago, I sand blasted my air cleaner lid and painted with the VHT paint. I did this in the sun on a day that was around 100'. Could not be happier with the results.

TA Coupe

If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

Quote from: Rickmustang on January 24, 2024, 08:47:23 PM
Eastwood black crinkle paint works pretty good
. So you spray the whole thing,then sand off the exposed metal parts,or?

shelbydoug

Quote from: 557 on January 25, 2024, 08:28:32 PM
Quote from: Rickmustang on January 24, 2024, 08:47:23 PM
Eastwood black crinkle paint works pretty good
. So you spray the whole thing,then sand off the exposed metal parts,or?

Yes.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Kent

Still for sale, if it's not marked sold it's still available also if you see this thread in 1 or 2 years. I mark everything sold if its sold.
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68