Author Topic: John Chun and Shelby American  (Read 8395 times)

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: John Chun and Shelby American
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2018, 01:35:25 PM »
These Chun sketches are AWESOME!! 

Like to have one to hang up in my Den ;D

dbegley

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2018, 10:05:26 AM »
Do what I did if you want to put John's sketches on your wall. Took it to a UPS store, had it blown up and printed. Cost more to put it in a frame than to have it printed.
Dennis

chuntek_ind

• Industrial/Transportation Design
    • View Profile
    • Chuntek Industries | Inspired Automotive Art & Design
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2019, 06:26:49 PM »
Hello all. This is Kevin, son of John Chun. I was forwarded this post from BaT member 2112.
I've enjoyed reading this thread. @dbegley thank you for your original post. It's very cool to read about dad and all the stories...I have a few myself. We all miss him very much. I still represent John at the annual Shelby American Employee Reunions. The group of Legends is smaller every year. I've also enjoyed creating the event poster the last few years (I thought it made sense that the designer's son should probably do the artwork).  I've read a couple of posts regarding the sketches. Before my dad had passed away, I had a series of sketches printed for our June 2012 trip to Mid America Ford Shelby event in Tulsa, OK. I don't think many people knew of my dad, but there's a lucky few folks out there who bought prints with a big signature and had photos with him. If there's any interest in prints/sketches, they're available.

I'm happy that my dad was recognized for his work at SA, but it was later in his life before he decided to participate in the reunions/shows. Full circle indeed. I do remember attending shows with him and it was like walking with Moses as seas of people would just part to let him walk through haha. I do miss that perk as now I'm just a guy bumping into other people! The Shelby American is a great family and honored to be a part of it!

I do have a fun story that my dad told well. While at Shelby American, he was test driving a '68 GT500. (Not sure, but I want to say that it was white with blue stripes). The car was being prepared for actor (Gene Kelly). On a beautiful sunny California day, my dad was pulled over. The car did not have plates on it and it was being driven by some Asian guy. Definitely suspicious. Before the officer could say or do anything, my dad told the officer to just please take the car 'around the block'. He explained that this was a new car and had to get it back to HQ for a special customer. The officer returned with a gigantic smile on his face and said: "Get the hell outta here!"

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2019, 07:03:40 PM »
Welcome to the forum. Lots of fans of your dad’s work here. ...also glad he got to enjoy some recognition
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 07:12:04 PM by Coralsnake »

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2019, 07:10:36 PM »
Welcome to the forum. Lots of fans of your dad’s work here.

Count me in on that.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2019, 07:12:03 PM »
Welcome to the forum. Lots of fans of your dad’s work here.

Count me in on that.

+3++++++

Glad you came over to share your memories!

propayne

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2019, 07:32:37 PM »
Yes, thank you for taking the time to join and post. I am a big fan of your father's work.

Would love to see some more of your dad's art, and yours also!

- Phillip

President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2019, 08:46:02 PM »
Glad to have you on the forum!  Cool story about the cop and the GT500.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 09:11:02 PM by Side-Oilers »
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2019, 09:26:32 PM »
Hello and welcome.

Thanks for joining in, that story is great - I never would have thought to offer that to the cop!

JD
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0