News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Guide to Back Up Lights 1965-1970

Started by anghelrestorations, August 03, 2018, 12:39:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anghelrestorations

Finished up another quick guide on back up lights for our cars.  This should cover everything related to that with changes that happened during those years. 

http://anghelrestorations.com/uploads/3/5/1/2/35122002/back_up_lights_v1.1.pdf

IMG_8085 by Marcus Anghel, on Flickr
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

GT350Lad

6S373
6S1276

Coralsnake

Well done, sir.

Just a side note, I have disassembled a couple dozen original 1968 NJ built cars (read Shelbys) and not found the domed spacers. Just my observation, others may have a different experience.
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

propayne

Great info - thanks for taking the time to put that together and post it.

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

anghelrestorations

Pete....I agree on the 68 Mustangs that they do not all have the domed slotted washers.  Seems at some point during that model year they stopped using them.  I was not able to find any Ford documentation when they stopped using them because they keep showing them used into 1970, which we know is not true. 
So the best way I could find to describe that was just to say "normally" for 1968.  I know from the June built 11,000 mile 68 Mustang I have it does not have the washers and that was never taken apart. 

Marcus Anghel

BGlover67

Marcus, you do such a great job describing and explaining topics in this hobby.  I just wish you had written my physics textbooks back in college.  ;D
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

anghelrestorations

Thanks, but I know explaining nuts and bolts is alot easier than physics. 
Marcus Anghel

TransamEd

Not sure if all model years have them, but it might be worth to add to the bulb description, that it is a single-filament, but double contact bulb.
It saves most beginners a new fuse if they use the proper bulb. Just learned it a few weeks ago on my own 68. At least in some foreign countries they are not easy to find.

anghelrestorations

All the years covered here use the same bulb which I mentioned on the last page...which is the 1142 bulb.  The way bulbs are made they have parallel lugs on each side that fits into the socket.  So it should be pretty hard to put a different style bulb in there that doesnt have the same style lugs. 

I can add a comment about them being a "double contact" style bulb, or maybe show a picture of the base of the bulb. 
Marcus Anghel

propayne

I just replaced one bulb in my '68 Cougar and took the old one to an Advance Auto.

The guy said they stock them because they are still commonly used in trailers.

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

jswoody

Great job Marcus, another thorough and very helpful resource.

KR Convertible

1156 bulbs have parallel lugs and a single contact.  Very common back-up light bulb.