News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

69 351 lift hooks

Started by aboss4tg, August 03, 2018, 11:45:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aboss4tg

Are the engine lift hooks painted and if so what color? Or were they removed
69 GT 350 Hertz
66 Convertible C code
66 Fastback A code
88 Saleen
89 SSP

TOBKOB

They were painted a ford engine blue but the ones I have seen in person were a lighter blue than the engine. I was able to match my original color from a spray can engine paint.

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

Bob Gaines

Quote from: aboss4tg on August 03, 2018, 11:45:36 AM
Are the engine lift hooks painted and if so what color? Or were they removed
All of the survivor 69/70 GT350 I have seen had them removed. Besides the fact that they were supposed to be removed from all 351W engines by engineering direction the Shelbized GT350 engine was most likely more of a imperative to have them removed because of the unique dress up of the engine with special valve covers and aluminum intake. With that said I typically don't deduct for them in concours even though I personally think they look stupid. ;D
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

aboss4tg

Appreciate both of your responses, helps me get closer to dropping in the motor.
69 GT 350 Hertz
66 Convertible C code
66 Fastback A code
88 Saleen
89 SSP

TOBKOB

QuoteAll of the survivor 69/70 GT350 I have seen had them removed. Besides the fact that they were supposed to be removed from all 351W engines by engineering direction the Shelbized GT350 engine was most likely more of a imperative to have them removed because of the unique dress up of the engine with special valve covers and aluminum intake. With that said I typically don't deduct for them in concours even though I personally think they look stupid. ;D

#2060 still wears her original lift hooks. It may have been a goof on somebody's part but there they are.

TOB

Bob Gaines

Quote from: TOBKOB on August 04, 2018, 09:59:55 PM
QuoteAll of the survivor 69/70 GT350 I have seen had them removed. Besides the fact that they were supposed to be removed from all 351W engines by engineering direction the Shelbized GT350 engine was most likely more of a imperative to have them removed because of the unique dress up of the engine with special valve covers and aluminum intake. With that said I typically don't deduct for them in concours even though I personally think they look stupid. ;D

#2060 still wears her original lift hooks. It may have been a goof on somebody's part but there they are.

TOB
Just because something was supposed to happen doesn't always mean it did happened for various reasons. That is why I typically do not deduct for them in concours because there are anomalies in this case. I would just hate to see the impression given that it was common place for them to be present. We are trying to preserve history ,not trying to rewrite it. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

TOBKOB

Bob, I understood what you were saying and I was just pointing out not all were removed as instructed. I understood the OP as saying his car had the hooks and I was just pointing out that mine were painted. I know they should have been removed at the factory and I should have pointed that out. I am pleading old and senile  :o

TOB