News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Wire Harness Routing - 1969 Convertible Tail Light section

Started by DP Customs, March 04, 2024, 12:39:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DP Customs

Hi,
I'm installing a new tail light harness and routing it exactly how the old one was in the car (red arrow).  It travels from the trunk, over the fender well and behind the rear window track assembly (closer to the outside sheet metal). Now that it's in there, I see that the wire that goes to the quarter-panel light is a little too short to reach (black/blue tracer). I went back to the old original harness and noticed that someone had lengthened that wire a few inches. Now I'm wondering, should the harness be routed in FRONT of the window track (see blue dotted line) to move it in closer? This would also line up the harness a lot better with the channel it runs through under the door sill. Does anyone know (or have pics) how Ford would have originally routed this part of the harness? Again, I followed the same path as the old harness but there's no guarantee that it was in there correctly to begin with.  Thanks in advance!

Coralsnake

Are you sure the interior quarter panel has a light?

The engineering manual shows the harness taped to the quarter panel. That is behind the regulator track so it does not interfere with window operation
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Coralsnake on March 04, 2024, 04:33:55 PM
Are you sure the interior quarter panel has a light?

The engineering manual shows the harness taped to the quarter panel. That is behind the regulator track so it does not interfere with window operation
If they had interior quarter panel lights are a early late thing on 69 Shelby's.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Coralsnake

DP Customs

It's a '69 Shelby Convertible.  Here's the quarter panel, just before I removed it.  You can see the light towards the bottom.

Coralsnake

I am pretty sure Shelby did not move the taillight harness, so there has to be an extension.

DP Customs

Quote from: Coralsnake on March 04, 2024, 05:33:13 PM
I am pretty sure Shelby did not move the taillight harness, so there has to be an extension.

That's what I'm starting to think too.  The harness manufacturer confirmed that it's made correctly per their specs. 

Special Ed

Its a cougar tailight rear harness on shelbys and a little longer than mustang since cougar is longer in rear part of car than mustang.