News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1965 GT350 Argent Silver Paint Code

Started by Dynomax, August 06, 2018, 06:32:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dynomax

I have spent a number of hours attempting to find a paint code for Argent Silver as used on 15" steel wheels fitted to 1965 GT350. The problem I have is that I have found more than one code and they are all different! I'm sure I read the details several years ago on our "old" site but didn't record them. Many thanks in advance for any help. Steve

papa scoops

i'm sure you will find the argent code in the ford mpc, standard color. (look for ae60) however you should contact the wheel company that made them, as they were most likely painted when they came from ford. (not the service replacements thou)? matching the color of an existing wheel is not a good way to go, as the wheels faded fast. maybe a never out of trunk spare, ut the colors varied. phred

Wedgeman

The argent paint that scoops describes is the same kind he uses on his hemp tennis shoes... 8).

acman63

except its not argent silver.  Its called Champagne Gold metallic.   I had two original spares  15 x 6 catseye with NOS Blue dots .  one off a 65 spare tire shelf and one in the trunk of a 66 carryover.   Both were the gold finish and I had the paint mixed to that.  If you want  my guy to mix up the paint  for you, he can do it.   There should be one maybe two cars at SAAC 43 concours  with steel wheels with the proper color
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

TLea

Quote from: acman63 on August 06, 2018, 06:02:44 PM
except its not argent silver.  Its called Champagne Gold metallic.   I had two original spares  15 x 6 catseye with NOS Blue dots .  one off a 65 spare tire shelf and one in the trunk of a 66 carryover.   Both were the gold finish and I had the paint mixed to that.  If you want  my guy to mix up the paint  for you, he can do it.   There should be one maybe two cars at SAAC 43 concours  with steel wheels with the proper color
+1 also called champagne beige  Look in early 60s ford color charts

Harris Speedster

Back in the 70's I used Ford argent silver.
I imagine Big Jim nailed it with his paint guy.

But, it was the exact same color as the rear bumpers ford supplied.
DuPont offered it.
Chrome and pot metal trim sometimes used it for detail work on emblems, bumper fillers and more>> 1950's.

Don't know the code, as that was over 47 years ago
With regards,
john
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

Dynomax

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Wedgeman. Argent painted hemp tennis shoes........ I imagine they would have to be accompanied with Wimbledon White socks and Guardsman Blue laces.

acman63. Thanks for the correction. I think I originally read the color described as "Argent" in the book by Greg Kolassa "The Definitive Shelby Mustang Guide 1965-1970" (pages 48 and 49). Thanks for the offer of your paint guy however I'm in New Zealand, so not practical.

texas swede

This is a picture of 5S267 with a good illustration of what Jim said above:
Texas Swede