News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

painted magnum restoration

Started by davez, March 24, 2024, 09:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6T6/7

Dave,
Could you elaborate a bit about how you made your stencils?
Thanks!
'66 6S379, '67 GT350 #1661

davez

Quote from: 6T6/7 on March 26, 2024, 06:32:36 PM
Dave,
Thanks!
So I own a company that does pinstriping, graphics, vehicle wraps, corporate advertising etc. I used masking tape over the opening and did a pencil rubbing, I scan that to my sign software and draw a vector pattern over that. I then cut a pattern in paint mask vinyl. I brought 3 of my wheels in and go back and forth making test fits and adjustments in the vector pattern to find the right balance of one or 2 patterns that fit the openings as best as possible. Probably went through 8 or 10 test fittings until I was happy. There are some consistent inconsistencies in how the centers were stamped out but there are some slight variations from wheel to wheel. We're talking 1/32 to 1/64 of an inch.
dz

6T6/7

Quote from: davez on March 26, 2024, 10:46:43 PM
Quote from: 6T6/7 on March 26, 2024, 06:32:36 PM
Dave,
Thanks!
So I own a company that does pinstriping, graphics, vehicle wraps, corporate advertising etc. I used masking tape over the opening and did a pencil rubbing, I scan that to my sign software and draw a vector pattern over that. I then cut a pattern in paint mask vinyl. I brought 3 of my wheels in and go back and forth making test fits and adjustments in the vector pattern to find the right balance of one or 2 patterns that fit the openings as best as possible. Probably went through 8 or 10 test fittings until I was happy. There are some consistent inconsistencies in how the centers were stamped out but there are some slight variations from wheel to wheel. We're talking 1/32 to 1/64 of an inch.
dz
Ok, thanks for that info. I was wondering what was involved, including addressing possible variations, etc. Beautiful end product!
'66 6S379, '67 GT350 #1661

JD

You have a nice product with those cut masks, some are probably interested ;-)
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

67 GT350

RARE  Signature Delete