News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

289 Engine Overview on YouTube

Started by NC TRACKRAT, March 25, 2024, 07:31:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NC TRACKRAT

Not overly technical but a decent 15 minute synopsis on our beloved little small block. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4CGuAaAdmQ
5S071, 6S1467

Dan Case

Yeah neat but, the "Windsor" family name is incorrect as presented in the opening. 

All the production Ford Motor Company U.S.A Ford Fairlane 221, 260, and 289 c.i.d. V8 engines made before about the late 1966 model year were manufactured in Cleveland, Ohio, U.S.A. and not in Windsor, Ontario, Canada.

Specifically, all High Performance 260/289 assembly line engines 1962-67 were manufactured in Ford Motor Company's manufacturing complex in Cleveland, Ohio, U.S.A. 

Bob Mannel's book describes the first 289 engines being produced in Canada in late 1966. There was a 351 c.i.d. engine made in Canada introduced in the 1969 model year. The "Windsor" tag came about when Ford started making a very different engine in 351 size in Cleveland Ohio for the 1970 model year. With two different 351 engine designs made in two factories, the Windsor and Cleveland suffixes to displacement started being used.

Somewhere along the line, authors started calling all Ford Fairlane 221/260/289 models engines, "Windsor engines" which of course was not ever true. Design wise they might all be called "Cleveland" engines with late 289s being made in Canada as required.

On August 23, 1962 an internal document, "Ford Motor Company Executive Communication ... Subject :  Shelby Cobra Program" distributed by L.A. Iacocca tells us how many Experimental High Performance 260 and how many High Performance 260 engines Ford made.

15 each "special order...hand built" 260 c.i.d. engines (the XHP-260 version)

185 each "semi-production...units" 260 c.i.d. engines (the HP260 version)

Note: Not all of these engines went to and or were used by Shelby American as other companies received some for racing or new car development.

A 4V 289 intake manifold painted an odd color cast December 13, 1963, middle of the 1964 model year roughly.

Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

68countrysedan

Where were the '68 and later 302s built and where were the '82 and later 5.0l built?

69mach351w

Dan, I'm sure you know this. I read years ago that all the blocks back in the 60's (specifically, and maybe earlier and/or later), were in fact seasoned blocks. Left out in a field and "seasoned" with the cold and hot of the seasons. I never heard much more about blocks being seasoned as we moved closer to the 5.0 era and beyond. That may have been why the small blocks specifically was so strong and bulletproof!!
Any elaboration is welcomed!
Rich

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 69mach351w on March 28, 2024, 11:57:42 AM
Dan, I'm sure you know this. I read years ago that all the blocks back in the 60's (specifically, and maybe earlier and/or later), were in fact seasoned blocks. Left out in a field and "seasoned" with the cold and hot of the seasons. I never heard much more about blocks being seasoned as we moved closer to the 5.0 era and beyond. That may have been why the small blocks specifically was so strong and bulletproof!!
Rich
I can't disputed that it could have happened however the casting dates in the blocks and the metal stamped machining and also the short block assembly dates does not support any type of prolong period between block mfg and assembly. It was not uncommon to be only a week or less between block mfg and machining and short block assembly. This is based on 65-67 Shelby owner observations 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

S7MS427

Indeed, the Hi-Po block for 6S817 was cast on October 23rd, 1965 (5K23), machined on November 3rd, 1965 (5L3) and assembled that same day.  It certainly did not sit out in a field somewhere for a couple of years.
Roy Simkins
http://www.s-techent.com/Shelby.htm
1966 G.T.350H SFM6S817
1967 G.T.500 67400F7A03040

Dan Case

Rich

1963-64 HP289 engines wise, days to a few weeks between block casting and engine assembly was the norm. The narrowest window I have in my 1963-64 data is casting the block 3E14 (May 14) and engine assembly 3E20 (May 20).  I bet there were shorter time spans as my data collection is not large. (Most engine date questions to asked of me are about original parts often missing like intake manifolds, ignition distributors, and carburetors.)

The "blocks" in HP289 engines were the same as any other 289 until they passed inspection and had the heavy duty main bearing caps added. The cylinder block assembly drawing (See Bob Mannel's publications.) for the high performance engine required blocks for the high performance assemblies to be free of certain defects.
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

Royce Peterson

Rich

I think what you read is an urban legend that has no basis in fact. Ford cast blocks and then used them as need be. There was no set time period.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock