News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Ballast resistor on firewall

Started by DP Customs, March 28, 2024, 03:16:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DP Customs

I'm chipping away at 55 years of wiring butchery on this '69 Shelby and found this resistor mounted inside the engine bay.  Someone hacked into the dash harness and ran a couple of pink wires to it.  I'm guessing this wasn't original equipment? I'm hoping someone can confirm. 

By the way, one of the pink wires is spiced into a red/green wire leading to the ignition switch, the other is spliced into a brown wire that shares the same plug terminal with the factory resistor wire. This car has a tach and it looks like the factory pink resistor wire leads to it. 

J_Speegle

Quote from: DP Customs on March 28, 2024, 03:16:53 PM
I'm chipping away at 55 years of wiring butchery on this '69 Shelby and found this resistor mounted inside the engine bay.  Someone hacked into the dash harness and ran a couple of pink wires to it.  I'm guessing this wasn't original equipment? I'm hoping someone can confirm. 

No that is not factory
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

+1 not factory. In the uncommon event of the resistor wire failing you can ether replace with replacement resistor wire you got from ford or the after market equivalent . That ballast resistor was the fastest way to fix the problem which no doubt was part of the decision process for some.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

Here is one that is designed to patch into the harness. https://www.ebay.com/itm/386769016050?
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

DP Customs

Thanks a lot guys, that helps explain quite a bit, cheers!

Shelbypat

If you replace that wire be sure to respect the length otherwise you would modify the resistance.

Patrick