Author Topic: Firewall Sealant Sags and Drips  (Read 2666 times)

nightmist67

• View Profile
Firewall Sealant Sags and Drips
« on: August 07, 2018, 03:51:08 PM »
Before my car was stripped of paint for restoration, the location and extent of firewall sealant was noted and photo documented.  As practicable, it was retained or replicated during the restoration.  However, one comment I received during concours judging indicated that there should have been more sealant sags and drips than were exhibited on the firewall.  My subsequent observation of several non-restored cars revealed equivalent, if not more modest, firewall sealant sloppiness compared to my car.  Should the firewall sealant application be representative of a stereotypical "Monday" car, or are the specific guidelines as to what is considered normal assembly line practices regarding firewall sealant application?   

cboss70

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Firewall Sealant Sags and Drips
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 04:10:00 PM »
I'd be interested in seeing pictures of what it should look like if anyone feels motivated to snap a few.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 04:21:40 PM »
Before my car was stripped of paint for restoration, the location and extent of firewall sealant was noted and photo documented.  As practicable, it was retained or replicated during the restoration.  However, one comment I received during concours judging indicated that there should have been more sealant sags and drips than were exhibited on the firewall.  My subsequent observation of several non-restored cars revealed equivalent, if not more modest, firewall sealant sloppiness compared to my car.  Should the firewall sealant application be representative of a stereotypical "Monday" car, or are the specific guidelines as to what is considered normal assembly line practices regarding firewall sealant application?
I can only assume that you took pictures of the firewall drips and sealant to use when you replicated same. Did you have those pictures available for the judges to review in order to help them understand your point of view ? If not then it would be prudent to have them for next time or even just to keep them with the car for a cruise night,local show etc. to help others understand why you did what you did. There is the typical and there is the non typical. With no other information to suggest otherwise the typical is the default expectation. I and most of the judges I know suggest every chance we get to concours entrants to keep a binder full of photos from the cars restoration etc. with the car so as to help the concours judges to make the best decision as far as originality for that specific car. One of the questions I ask after introducing myself to a concours entrant and thanking them for bringing thier car "is there anything out of the ordinary or that you would like to bring our attention to about the car or the way it was restored".
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 06:17:27 PM »
.................... Should the firewall sealant application be representative of a stereotypical "Monday" car, or are the specific guidelines as to what is considered normal assembly line practices regarding firewall sealant application?

If your car was unrestored and original when you got the car or you received pictures showing all of the surface area of the firewall (for this detail) it would be fine and recommended to reproduce what you documented and reproduced. If you know ahead of the time that your car is different from the norm or it has been an issue in the past showing I always suggest that the difference be noted with the judges prior to the start of judging. During this exchange just mentioned it has been commented or noticed on in the past and that you wanted to offer some pictures of what was found then leave it to the judges to apply that knowledge to their task.  As Bob mentioned that is why the question should be part of any judging teams introduction

I'd be interested in seeing pictures of what it should look like if anyone feels motivated to snap a few.

That would require knowing what year the OP is referencing and even the period of the production year. ;)

Have hundreds just don't know where to start. In addition typical patterns are shown in the Undercarriage Restoration articles I have posted links to on this site.   ::)    :)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge