Author Topic: SAAC 44  (Read 21900 times)

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: SAAC 44
« Reply #75 on: November 20, 2018, 09:51:24 AM »
I appreciate the response.
Looking over the list of past events, there's never been one within 9 hours of my location, although Indy isn't much further than that. Pittsburgh, at 14.5 hours, will actually be one of the closer ones. Most have been 18-20 hours, or more.

Yes, Kansas Speedway would be great. Less than 5 hours.  Practically in my backyard.

It really would be nice if the club could do even one centrally located event before the 50th anniversary.

There's nothing stopping your SAAC regional group from putting on a show/event that serves the members in your vicinity.  Just requires folks to do some work and get sponsorship $$.  Make it an annual thing and show the SAAC board that it's a viable location for a SAAC annual convention and maybe it can happen.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 20, 2018, 10:18:25 AM »
What about the Mid America Ford and Shelby Nationals.

http://musclecarevents.org

That's pretty much right where you want a SAAC event isn't it. I have no prior knowledge, just a guess, that SAAC has never gone this central as this event appears to be right in the same wheelhouse. I have always wanted to put this on my bucket list as it looks to be like a very cool event. I would think if this was going on in June it would certainly compete with SAAC. I could see why SAAC doesn't go to this neck of the woods and try to compete for everyones $$ on a relatively similar event.

I don't think that it was ever an intention of competing with another avent. It was providing one where there wasn't one with a reasonable chance of success.

If the Mid-America meet is successful, why does there have to be another?

Actually, this is and has been a sore point for quite some time in that in essence SAAC IS in competition with the NorCal Mini-nats.

Hey look, I'm not the arbitrator here. Send your opinion and requests to SAAChq. That's where the decisions are made.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

terlingua11

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 20, 2018, 10:29:25 AM »
What I meant by "competing" I was referring to making a decision. If I had limited travel time and had limited funds, I would have to pick which show I wanted to attend. If SAAC was in the same location as Mid America, but at different times of the year, I would most likely pick the show that had the more convenient time slot. This would in turn limit the success of one of the shows based on everyones selection.

I think if I lived a couple hours drive from such a large event that happens yearly in the same location, I would feel pretty good about it. As SAAC is a traveling caravan of sorts and Mid America is fixed.
SFM6S1904
88 Saleen 19R

cj750

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 20, 2018, 10:29:49 AM »

That's pretty much right where you want a SAAC event isn't it. I have no prior knowledge, just a guess, that SAAC has never gone this central as this event appears to be right in the same wheelhouse. I have always wanted to put this on my bucket list as it looks to be like a very cool event. I would think if this was going on in June it would certainly compete with SAAC. I could see why SAAC doesn't go to this neck of the woods and try to compete for everyones $$ on a relatively similar event.

That's a good question. I've been a regular attendee of what used to be known simply as the Mid-America Shelby Meet for over 25 years. For a long time, it did offer a reasonable alternative to a SAAC meet. A gathering for owners and enthusiasts of Shelbys, Panteras, Bosses, Eliminators, and the rest of the Total Performance era family. Saleens and other late-model Ford performance cars were welcome, but not the focus. But since Ford took over primary sponsorship, (and the event became the Mid-America Ford and Shelby Nationals) it has evolved into a late-model Mustang convention with some old Fords thrown in for variety. The formerly huge swap meet has shrunk to almost nothing, and the general vibe has completely changed. Once, if you showed up with a '62-'70 Shelby product, you were part of a homecoming among friends. Now you're sort of a historical curiosity. Maybe SAAC has gone the same way, but from what I read in the magazine and online, it doesn't seem so.
I don't expect a SAAC meet in my neck of the woods very often. (Although once in 50 years doesn't seem like an unreasonable request.) But it'd be nice to occasionally be able to attend an event with the emphasis on Total Performance era Fords, not boosted Coyote motors, that doesn't require two days trailering to get there.
Every post I make comes with an implied request for corrections. I'm here to learn.

terlingua11

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 20, 2018, 10:37:22 AM »
Thanks for the clarification of Mid America. As I mentioned I have never attended, but thought it was more like a SAAC event ( as you mentioned it used to be ). I can hear the disappointment of the event turning into boosted mustangs and late model cars. Not at all what a SAAC event is like. 60's era is the focus as wide as the eye can see. There are a few late model cars for the track, but the emphasis is the 60's era cars-

Sorry to hear about Mid America.
SFM6S1904
88 Saleen 19R

terlingua11

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 20, 2018, 12:31:18 PM »
I did make the trip with truck and trailer from Milwaukee to the Poconos. 13 hours.... but had a hell of a time!
SFM6S1904
88 Saleen 19R

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 20, 2018, 04:57:09 PM »

I don't think that it was ever an intention of competing with another avent. It was providing one where there wasn't one with a reasonable chance of success.

If the Mid-America meet is successful, why does there have to be another?

Actually, this is and has been a sore point for quite some time in that in essence SAAC IS in competition with the NorCal Mini-nats.

Hey look, I'm not the arbitrator here. Send your opinion and requests to SAAChq. That's where the decisions are made.
I was always under the impression that the Nor Cal Mini nats evolved out of necessity for the Nor Cal and So Cal members to provide a event in their area given many were not able to make the typical eastern or Midwest area SAAC national conventions because of distance . Hence the name Mini Nats(nationals). I don't think there is competition there.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

gjz30075

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 22, 2018, 02:28:23 PM »
I don't care where it is held, I'll be there, schedule permitting.    Nothing a flight and a rental car can't solve.
Greg Z
6S2249