Author Topic: LeMans 66 the movie coming soon!  (Read 10838 times)

sfm5s081

• View Profile
LeMans 66 the movie coming soon!
« on: August 09, 2018, 07:41:11 PM »
James Mangold is directing for Chernin Entertainment that is due to be released in 2019. Christian Bale is supposed to play Ken Miles. It sounds like that character will be getting equal screen time, which I think is an elevation of Miles' real life role I don't think he was Shelby's fellow strategy advisor but was a.)race driver and b.) a test driver but not necessarily working on the big picture. Matt Damon as "The King" Shooting will take place in California, New Orleans and Atlanta, with just over two months of the shoot taking place in and around Cali’s Kern, Orange, Santa Rosa and San Bernardino counties. Of course Willow Springs and LAX will have some scenes as well. Should be a good movie!

68countrysedan

• View Profile
Re: LeMans 66 the movie coming soon!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 09:25:47 PM »
I have huge doubts about this film. Who is the screen writer? What source material has he consulted?

Since LeMans location filming wasn't mentioned, I presume this film time frame will be lead up preparation to LeMans. Will the cars be real or CGI?

Also, the comment, "....elevation of Miles' real life role. . . but not necessarily working on the big picture." concerns me. What was Miles' role at SA, besides the obvious. Was he Shelby's muse?  Miles had won Daytona and Sebring and knew he could be looking at a racing triple crown. Did it go to his head? What was Shelby's attitude toward Miles? In other words, will the dramatic conflict be accurate as to what it was like or will it be contrived?  Think Gas Monkey Garage with staff personality quirks and how they manage to over come huge problems and get race cars ready just in the nick of time.

For me, the jury will be out for some time.

trotrof1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 10:11:22 PM »
Be happy that the film is being produced finally sans Tom Cruise.  If they get the story close to accurate without too much fiction then Im good with it.

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 01:44:57 AM »
Well, there is docu-drama and then there is Hollywood box office.  Be careful what you wish for in a Ken Miles/Carroll Shelby screenplay. 8)

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 07:15:31 AM »
Phil Remington?
His part should be integral as well as many others
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 08:46:37 AM by JD »
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

6R07mi

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 08:42:25 AM »
I have huge doubts about this film. Who is the screen writer? What source material has he consulted?

Since LeMans location filming wasn't mentioned, I presume this film time frame will be lead up preparation to LeMans. Will the cars be real or CGI?

As reported in another thread, some key cars are supplied by RCR in Michigan who also provided the GT40 in Fast & Furious 5.

consultant is reportably A J Baime, author of “Go Like Hell” & involved in the video “24 Hour War”, which I thought was a fairly good depiction of the story

regards,
jim p
Former owner 6S283, 70 "Boss351", 66 GT 6F07, 67 FB GT
current: 66 GT former day 2 track car 6R07
20+ yrs Ford Parts Mgr, now Meritor Defense

68countrysedan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 11:34:01 AM »
Thanks for the update. That's a positive consultant resume.

But I still don't trust that the screen writer/director/producers won't override Mr. Baime's suggestions to make things "more dramatic".  Like crashing a GT Mk. II the day before leaving for LeMans and they rebuild it in time at the local Ford dealer. 

sfm5s081

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 01:18:13 PM »
I think there would be some buzz around the community. They would have to get original cars for the closeups and to document. I haven't heard anything. Rest assured, an open casting call near LAX and you can bet that I'll be there in my 65 GT350! At least this would be period correct

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2018, 04:10:05 PM »

Matt Damon as CS is all I need to know that this will be a box office bust from La-La land.

trotrof1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2018, 05:25:06 PM »
I was worried also until they hired Daryl Deino as the hot dog vendor.

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2018, 06:01:17 PM »
What, no role for George Clooney?   8)

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2018, 08:47:25 PM »
I was worried also until they hired Daryl Deino as the hot dog vendor.

That made me laugh out loud!
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

trotrof1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2018, 09:15:22 PM »
Word on the street is Clooney got bumped out of the vendor role when the production company rejected the accommodations necessary for Georges large head. His complicit role in the giant smug didnt help either. Not like San Fran didnt already have enough problems.

Fastback66

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2018, 09:40:34 PM »
There will be fictional drama and it won’t be historically accurate in many details. They aren’t making a documentary for Shelby owners, they’re making entertainment for the average movie goer and hoping to make money. They’ll take many liberties with the truth in order to make it entertaining for Joe Blow and his family.  If you keep this in mind and don’t let it bother you then you might actually enjoy the movie.

sfm5s081

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2018, 12:44:48 AM »
There will be fictional drama and it won’t be historically accurate in many details. They aren’t making a documentary for Shelby owners, they’re making entertainment for the average movie goer and hoping to make money. They’ll take many liberties with the truth in order to make it entertaining for Joe Blow and his family.  If you keep this in mind and don’t let it bother you then you might actually enjoy the movie.

Agreed! The documentary isn't for Ferrari owners either :(