News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Help With Identifying Symbol on Magstar Cap

Started by BGlover67, August 12, 2018, 02:05:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J_Speegle

Quote from: 2112 on August 13, 2018, 01:13:27 AM
What would the far right emblem come on? Just a non-Sears aftermarket retailer?

Over the counter wheels or in packages with just the center caps. Think that KELSEY design was after the red/white and blue but would have to look up the advertising and compare dates

Tire stores as well as mechanic shops sold the wheels for all kinds of cars and lug patterns. Ran a set of 14" Chevy wheels (had them machined for unilugs) for a late 67 GT350 I drove to SAAC 13. They had the tri color caps

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

JD

Quote from: J_Speegle on August 13, 2018, 01:22:55 AM
Quote from: 2112 on August 13, 2018, 01:13:27 AM
What would the far right emblem come on? Just a non-Sears aftermarket retailer?

Over the counter wheels or in packages with just the center caps. Think that KELSEY design was after the red/white and blue but would have to look up the advertising and compare dates

Tire stores as well as mechanic shops sold the wheels for all kinds of cars and lug patterns.

^^^ Yes, as Jeff already stated.  Also the version I posted was on a different Kelsey Hayes wheel design, but it was also a steel rim riveted to a cast aluminum center.

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

shelbydoug

Quote from: BGlover67 on August 12, 2018, 09:52:17 PM
Wow, you guys are good.  Amazing you figured out that was Sears And Roebuck.  I swear half of you should be detectives.

Detectives no, aliens yes. Personally I am from one of the moons of Jupiter along with Elvis and Mrs. Adelson. ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Coralsnake

That is a cool trademark. The person that came up with that one deserves a pat on the back.

roddster

Back in the 1960's Sears had a LOT of pull.  So, no surprise that the Magstars bought though a Sears Automotive Center would have a Sears emblem.  By the way, those wheels would have also had black centers.
  If you bought parts from them back then (you would have if your Dad had a car from the "big three") you also got to drool over the 289 Display engine that had the "Cobra" manifold, valve covers and T pan.

shelbydoug

Quote from: roddster on August 13, 2018, 10:05:01 AM
  Back in the 1960's Sears had a LOT of pull.  So, no surprise that the Magstars bought though a Sears Automotive Center would have a Sears emblem.  By the way, those wheels would have also had black centers.
  If you bought parts from them back then (you would have if your Dad had a car from the "big three") you also got to drool over the 289 Display engine that had the "Cobra" manifold, valve covers and T pan.

Don't forget the ported heads with the round exhausts? ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350hr

Quote from: 67_1183 on August 12, 2018, 04:50:03 PM
Quote from: J_Speegle on August 12, 2018, 04:36:50 PM
If you rotate it 90 degrees CW its appears to be the stylized initials SR if that is a clue

Did Sears & Roebuck have auto centers that sold KH wheels aftermarket?

YES!!!! That is the cap that was on their wheels! Good eye. Very obscure wheel cap for sure.  Penny's had a FOREMOST cap that they used on their 5 spoke  "American copy" wheels "made in Japan" ( not China) by Appliance Plating. Oh the things you know when you're old.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

shelbydoug

Quote from: gt350hr on August 13, 2018, 11:36:26 AM
Quote from: 67_1183 on August 12, 2018, 04:50:03 PM
Quote from: J_Speegle on August 12, 2018, 04:36:50 PM
If you rotate it 90 degrees CW its appears to be the stylized initials SR if that is a clue

Did Sears & Roebuck have auto centers that sold KH wheels aftermarket?

YES!!!! That is the cap that was on their wheels! Good eye. Very obscure wheel cap for sure.  Penny's had a FOREMOST cap that they used on their 5 spoke  "American copy" wheels "made in Japan" ( not China) by Appliance Plating. Oh the things you know when you're old.

Yea but did you forget more then you knew? I had those on my Pontiac. I can't forget that. Dark metallic blue '64 Bonneville 389 with a back seat REVERB! 8)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

pbf777

Quote from: shelbydoug on August 13, 2018, 11:08:56 AM
Quote from: roddster on August 13, 2018, 10:05:01 AM
  Back in the 1960's .............................

Don't forget the ported heads with the round exhausts? ;)

"Super Port Flow" or perhaps better known as "FIREBALL HEADS" from Crane Cams Co.  ;)

Scott.

Coralsnake

The creativity on that logo is awesome. I looked at it for 10 minutes before seeing the "s" and the "r"

Its on par with the Coralsnake emblem, lol

BGlover67

Quote from: Coralsnake on August 14, 2018, 02:29:49 PM
The creativity on that logo is awesome. I looked at it for 10 minutes before seeing the "s" and the "r"

Its on par with the Coralsnake emblem, lol

You are way more observant than me Pete.  I didn't see the letters at all.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

papa scoops

it stood for Shelby ameRican.

Coralsnake

67_1183

2nd owner of 67 GT500 #1183 since September 1976

JD

I saw it immediately, but I do graphic design and old enough to recognize that version of a Sears logo.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0