News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Close of Summer Project Completion

Started by rbarkley, August 13, 2018, 08:25:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbarkley

Completed the rebuild on the p/s pump, sleeve, and heater core, and radiator, but no motivation to get back in the garage for engine/trans install.
Too darn hot and humid!
Ron

JD

congrat's on more done!

(if it matters to you the tag on the back of the power steering pump was typically painted with the pump the nut too - same color not raw metal finish, raw/unpainted pump housing behind the tag, there was cover on the threads similar to what you have on the return nipple to keep the threads free of paint.  The dipstick tube was painted all the way to the top on the Teal - Ford/Thompson pumps that is what the "F" stand for on the second line of the tag - if you didn't already know)
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

rbarkley

I need all the help I can get.  Thanks JD.

Do you happen to know if this is 67 May date radiator?  I believe the E is May?

Ron

JD

Yes, I believe "E" = May.  I'll let some one more versed on Big Block radiators chime in though. 

I do remember that the big block radiators have a horizontal rod mid-way across on both the front and the back of the radiator.  The small blocks have one but only on the back/engine side.

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

sfm5s081

I bet this car would be horrible without power steering! I could be wrong though

Bob Gaines

Quote from: JD on August 13, 2018, 09:41:44 PM
Yes, I believe "E" = May.  I'll let some one more versed on Big Block radiators chime in though. 

I do remember that the big block radiators have a horizontal rod mid-way across on both the front and the back of the radiator.  The small blocks have one but only on the back/engine side.
JD is correct however the date code is not the problem . The engineering number on the side strap indicates a Modine radiator for a Dearborn or Metuchen car .The SJ built 67 Shelby would have the engineering number stamped on a metal tag soldered to the top of the driver side strap.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

rbarkley

Bob
Are these the metal tags you are talking about?
Ron

That last picture in the first post reminds me of the old saying that Mustangs start on the assembly line as a heater core and eventually have a car built around them.   ;D

Get that heater control box in before you do the rest of the drivetrain or your knuckles will hate you!

Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

rbarkley

Heater Control Box is in!

Trying to narrow down what else needs to be done before dropping in the engine and trans.

What do I do with the transmission lines?  I guess they go in after the engine/trans are installed?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: rbarkley on August 14, 2018, 10:20:14 PM

Trying to narrow down what else needs to be done before dropping in the engine and trans.

What do I do with the transmission lines?  I guess they go in after the engine/trans are installed?
For one thing given that you are trying to do everything else assemblyline original you want to apply the sound deadener/sealant to all of the things that come through the firewall with the engine out. That is how it was done at the factory. This is NOT something you want to try and do when the engine is in. It can be done with engine in but mediocre results can be expected.

Bob Gaines

FYI the master cylinder and cap were painted on the booster black as a unit. the cap sticker was added after painting. This might be easier done before engine goes in.

Bob Gaines

Remind be when this car was built at Ford and the Shelby vin. It seems too late for white stripe heater hose.

Bob Gaines

Oil pressure line needs to go through one more black wiring loop towards the firewall then it goes UNDER the master before coming up and attaching with a zip tie at the engine gauge feed harness wiring as it comes out of the firewall.

Bob Gaines

Auto transmission mount should be bare steel looking and not black.