News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Close of Summer Project Completion

Started by rbarkley, August 13, 2018, 08:25:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbarkley

Great info Bob. Thank you.  I have some work to do!

Scheduled Date 1/12/1967
#861 was assembled on 1/25/1967 at the San Jose facility (Actual date)
turned into a Shelby 3/15/1967
Shipped to Wilmington Ford (Wilmington, MA.) 3/27/1967

Bob Gaines

Quote from: rbarkley on August 14, 2018, 10:20:14 PM
Heater Control Box is in!

Trying to narrow down what else needs to be done before dropping in the engine and trans.

What do I do with the transmission lines?  I guess they go in after the engine/trans are installed?
WAIT I'm not done yet  ;D -   E brake bracket at firewall should be bare metal looking and not black. Top of steering box is blacked out with brush. That was done with engine in car but easier to do now . Leave some brush strokes. I would consider adding the washers to the upper shock mounts so that they look like what was engineered to be installed on a Shelby.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

Quote from: rbarkley on August 14, 2018, 10:40:57 PM
Great info Bob. Thank you.  I have some work to do!

Scheduled Date 1/12/1967
#861 was assembled on 1/25/1967 at the San Jose facility (Actual date)
turned into a Shelby 3/15/1967
Shipped to Wilmington Ford (Wilmington, MA.) 3/27/1967
It should have the red hoses not white. The transition was very early in production . 0001 original hoses were one white and one red for example . Ford was transitioning early in production. Easier now then later. Think of all of the questions you will not have to answer when others see something out of place given all of the other correct details.  ;)
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

Quote from: Bob Gaines on August 14, 2018, 10:28:59 PM
For one thing given that you are trying to do everything else assemblyline original you want to apply the sound deadener/sealant to all of the things that come through the firewall with the engine out. ............................

That includes (well that was the plan) all the attaching items/points also. Can provide plenty of examples/pictures  8) This DOES NOT include the ground wire you have attached to the firewall currently. It was attached to the engine when it was installed so it wasn't there when the sealant was applied

Also replace that drivers side rear hood bumper ;)

If you choose you can return the original machined surfaces to all the original locations on your third member pinion retainer.

Even though your using an aftermarket rear brake lines (likely fronts also) you should remove the aftermarket ink markings applied to the hoses since those will pull the eye and call people to notice that they have been changed

Might also want to pull the back lower seat cushion if its already in place. Remove the muffler mounts that go through the floor and clean them off and refinish them. The fact that they were left in place when the undercarriage was painted means that the visible studs and the end of studs will still show the red oxide color once all of the exhaust is installed  :(

Hope this helps
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

bhoulis

I'm at about the same point on my car and have a few questions. How does one go about changing white stripe hoses to red. Any suggestions as to techniques, materials, etc? Steering box top blackout sheen flat, matte, satin, semi?? Firewall sealant brand. What's the preferred rattle can brand? I'm guessing one that dries black not brownish, and has the best build properties. Any help much appreciated. Brian

Bob Gaines

Quote from: houlis on August 15, 2018, 04:15:04 PM
I'm at about the same point on my car and have a few questions. How does one go about changing white stripe hoses to red. Any suggestions as to techniques, materials, etc? Steering box top blackout sheen flat, matte, satin, semi?? Firewall sealant brand. What's the preferred rattle can brand? I'm guessing one that dries black not brownish, and has the best build properties. Any help much appreciated. Brian
Easiest way to change color of the heater hose is to change out the hose with some solid red ones just like when you installed the white ones. I have known some to re paint the hoses . The original product is a type of ink.  Steering box black out was done with a product very similar to driveway seal coat IMO, however most just use a semi gloss black paint with a 1inch brush. There is no preferred rattle can brand sound deadener for the firewall in my book. You have to go to a professional line products for the best look. Others may think differently.

bhoulis

Interesting. I got my hoses from Marti and didn't see any red striped ones for 67. Marti and  WCCC have them for late 68, after 2/1/68. More San Jose madness?? Brian

JD

Quote from: houlis on August 15, 2018, 09:11:33 PM
Interesting. I got my hoses from Marti and didn't see any red striped ones for 67. Marti and  WCCC have them for late 68, after 2/1/68. More San Jose madness?? Brian
Seems at times they are out of stock on one or more of the three colors used over the '67 run.

As Bob stated Red was the most used, white was very early.  There were some yellow mixed in over the year but not many.  (Would only use yellow if you can be certain the car has the originals)

Have painted the stripe - '67's has solid stripe not the version with wording interspaced - made a jig to hold the hose (still have it) and taped off beside the existing stripe use red silk screen ink and dabbed it on over the existing with a paper towel. Killed me to do it as the hose were NOS, car was in Division 1.

The originals were painted as they came off/out of the extrusion die - ink dripping onto a roller wheel rather fast process not perfect solid line, some modeling.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

motorhead428

Would a 12/07/1966 San Jose production use White hose on the heater hose's ? Thank You

1967 eight barrel

Nov '66 SJ build. They were white and they are white now.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: motorhead428 on August 16, 2018, 06:09:11 PM
Would a 12/07/1966 San Jose production use White hose on the heater hose's ? Thank You
By that date red would be the safe bet IMO.

1967 eight barrel

Bob, what is the break date for white stripped. Mixture of red/white for late 1966?

-Keith

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 1967 eight barrel on August 17, 2018, 12:37:43 AM
Bob, what is the break date for white stripped. Mixture of red/white for late 1966?

-Keith
It was transitioning from the beginning of 67 production some of the earliest 67 GT350 cars had a red and a white hose so clearly the white was being used up and on it's way out. No clear date but a Nov 66 car would be one of the last to have white IMO.

rbarkley

Champion Mustang has these listed for 68-69 red stripe heater hose.
Would they be correct for the 67 application?
Ron

Bob Gaines

Quote from: rbarkley on August 17, 2018, 09:25:09 PM
Champion Mustang has these listed for 68-69 red stripe heater hose.
Would they be correct for the 67 application?
Ron
If they are solid red stripe like in the picture then yes. 68-69 red hoses do not have the solid red stripe but a red stripe that is interrupted with a date code  .