Author Topic: Close of Summer Project Completion  (Read 7917 times)

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
Re: Close of Summer Project Completion
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2018, 09:48:10 PM »
Champion Mustang has these listed for 68-69 red stripe heater hose.
Would they be correct for the 67 application?
Ron

http://www.championmustang.com/6869-mustang-heater-hose-w-red-stripe-p-6532.html

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2018, 10:03:41 PM »
Champion Mustang has these listed for 68-69 red stripe heater hose.
Would they be correct for the 67 application?
Ron

http://www.championmustang.com/6869-mustang-heater-hose-w-red-stripe-p-6532.html
Like I said 68-69 red hoses do not have the solid red stripe but a red stripe that is interrupted with a date code  . They have the wrong picture with the description or they don't know the difference. You will be fine if they send you what is in the picture but don't be surprised if they come the 68/69 way which is not a solid stripe. I would verify with the seller to eliminate wasted time.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

bhoulis

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2018, 02:01:14 PM »
I took a stab at repainting my 67 heater hose stripes this weekend. Opinions on the results are welcome.
1. Materials - heater hoses ( I'm using the white striped ones I got from Marti). 6' length of 1/2" diameter wooden dowel, Lowes, HD. Wide tip paint stick, marker, pen thingy. Michaels craft store. Blue tape, the kind with the extra good edge sealing. Picture shows yellow tape being used but it bled under quite a bit so I re-did it with the blue.

2. Wipe hoses clean and let dry. I used a wax and grease remover. Insert dowel through hose and secure dowel so it doesn't roll around. I used c-clamps and scraps of wood to hold it down to the table.

3 Mask off to appropriate width. I used the white stripes as a guide. Measured when done and came out to 1/4" wide. Use the good blue tape. I when over the edges with the smooth side of a socket to get a good seal.

4. Follow directions on paint stick to get paint flowing. Wipe paint stick along masked off area of hose. Not too fast, not too slow, you'll see how the paint is laying down as you go. 2 passes may be necessary to cover the width because the tip is flat and the hose is curved.

5. Once you have it covered peel off the tape. Maybe you can wait until it dries but I took it off as soon as I finished with the paint stick.

6. The finished product.

Opinions welcome. I'm sure with more experimentation the process could be refined. One thing I thought of was to, before releasing paint from the marker, take a round file or x-acto knife or something to re-shape the tip to conform better to the curve of the hose. I gave it a real quick try after I started the paint pen, now I have red files. Hope this helps others who need red 67 hoses. Brian

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2018, 05:25:28 PM »
Looks pretty darn good to me. +1 on removing the tape as soon as you strip it. That allows the edges to lay down better. some time you get jagged edges otherwise.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

rbarkley

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2018, 06:11:31 PM »
Wow!  That looks great Brian.  I am going to do the same.
I like the dowel idea to keep the surface straight.
Ron

motorhead428

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2020, 09:11:33 PM »
Just dug my heater box out from storage. Off car #185 completed at San Jose on 12/01/66 and has 1 white and 1 yellow hose still attached. I will try to post a couple of pictures. Just to help with the time line.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 09:05:14 PM by motorhead428 »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2020, 10:33:28 PM »
Just dug my heater box out from storage. Off car #185 completed at San Jose on 12/01/66 and has 1 white and 1 yellow hose still attached. I will try to post a couple of pictures. Just to help with the time line.
That is more a random thing IMHO. Probably the end of a spool. Typically you see both the same color. Both white was typically seen in early production then both red and last yellow . Yellow was the least used it seemed from surviving examples. The original hoses on 0001 for example had one white and one red originally. If one chooses to copy the mismatch i would suggest to have a picture copy of the original to explain the out of the ordinary occurrence to skeptics.  I would NOT copy the mismatch unless it came from your specific car.