Author Topic: For the 1968 fans....  (Read 2530 times)

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
For the 1968 fans....
« on: August 13, 2018, 09:26:04 PM »
I recently had a discussion on the appearance of the three carriage bolts visible in the grille opening. # 30317-S

This document shows the front valence bolts visible in the grille opening were intended to be painted body color, the document is undated, so its still open to some interpretation.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 09:30:09 PM by Coralsnake »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: For the 1968 fans....
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 10:04:57 PM »
I have been saying that for a number of years. It makes perfect sense to me that the factory was trying to make the carriage bolt head disappear with paint instead of standing out.  Even with primer the paint easily flacked off the zinc plated surface of the carriage bolt round head which is the reason so many doubted the paint. At least that has been my argument. Thanks Pete for bringing the smoking gun to light.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

KR Convertible

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 10:27:53 AM »
Brush painted after assembly?

68blk500c

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 11:07:47 AM »
Unless more documentation is available, how about accepting body color and quit worrying about brushed or sprayed.

Chris Thauberger

• Gold is money. Everything else is credit.
    • View Profile
    • And how many words have I got to say? And how many times will it be this way? With your arms around the future And your back up against the past You're already falling It's calling you on to face the music And the song that is coming through You
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 11:15:19 AM »
Unless more documentation is available, how about accepting body color and quit worrying about brushed or sprayed.

Agree
Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 11:20:37 AM »
I doubt they were brushed.

It is what was intended, its possible some were unpainted, but I would error on the side of the evidence

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 01:11:24 PM »
It's like the assembly manuals, the intention may have been there, but sometimes we find something different on the cars.  Or, it was something done for a time period within an assembly year.

Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

TLea

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 07:10:42 AM »
It's like the assembly manuals, the intention may have been there, but sometimes we find something different on the cars.  Or, it was something done for a time period within an assembly year.
+1  Smoking gun re lit
simple answer. some got it some didn't.  We know nose pieces were painted not attached to each other. If bolts were not in place then no shadow line. If bolts pre painted and attached later there would be chips (same with screws) chips= touch up= brush