Author Topic: Would you rather have the car or the watch?  (Read 3883 times)

A1965GT350

• View Profile
Would you rather have the car or the watch?
« on: August 13, 2018, 11:58:54 PM »
Interesting that there are people with this much disposable cash (not me haha) but frankly I would rather have a real Daytona Coup for the this amount of money. Of course I could wear the Daytona watch into a famous 4 Star rated restaurant with a young starlet on the other arm, but I am sure it would be more fun to take her on a drive on Mulholland Drive (like the Monkees TV show) and scare the $%&# out of her (and me ) in one of the 6 original Daytona Coups.

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Would you rather have the car or the watch?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 12:32:37 AM »
They did a 50th anniversary Daytona for only $70,000. I swapped about $30 worth of 22 ammo when there was a shortage to a guy for his $200 "Clone/knockoff/continuation/replica/tribute" see same problems as new CS cars.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 02:22:31 PM »
I'm sure quite a few of you on here are Rolex fans like myself.  I can't justify the $17 mil price tag, but this is a true 'GRAIL Watch'.  That panda face style has became synonymous with Paul Newman.  He made it cool.  To the Rolex community, it doesn't get any better than this.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 03:02:59 PM »
I read somewhere that Newman gave the watch to the guy who was dating his daughter, back in the '80s sometime.

Wonder who owns it now?

Quite the payday for somebody. Even though I can't imagine the watch getting close to that kind of ask $$$.

I'd rather have a really sweet collection of cars than a watch. Any watch. 

And yes, I do own a Rolex, but I won it in a race.  (True.) 
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 03:04:38 PM by Side-Oilers »
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 03:50:08 PM »
$17.5 million equals an fia Cobra plus a lot of gas money for me!
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

papa scoops

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 04:43:03 PM »
for all you "fake cobra" people, they make a fake rolex for like $40.00 to go with it! phred

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 04:59:36 PM »
I haven't worn my Rolex president for over ten +years.  A wrist watch has become irrelevant IMO especially when also carrying a cell phone. I like to work with my hands on cars etc. and a wrist watch was always getting in the way. I know some are classic just like cars but for me they don't mean anything anymore.  I need to sell mine so I can buy more car parts  ;) .
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 05:01:21 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2018, 05:26:36 PM »
I have to admit - I drank the Rolex coolaide about 10 years ago, and I LOVE it!

I used to have cheap “disposable” watches before. But, now I wear my Rolex all the time...except when I’m in the garage as Bob noted. 😉

It’s funny - I know I could read the time off my phone. But, in meetings, it’s much easier to inconspicuously glance at my watch versus pulling out my phone.  ;D
Nothing beats a classic!

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2018, 08:44:58 PM »
Silly rich people. You need an ostrich jacket to go with and maybe snakeskin boots.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2018, 10:05:30 PM »
My affluent friends have told me the days of the 10-100k wrist watches have gone the way of the dinosaurs, they seem to have really nice looking 400-500 dollar watches that are stunning to look at, this allows for them to get more investment vehicles. ;)

66TotalPerf

• SAAC Member
  • 66 GT350 Tribute
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2018, 11:41:32 PM »
Yea, all the wealthy types I know wear the newest iWatch, FitBit, etc. Having a Rolex or similar used to represent not only affluence but it was dead accurate; with tech advancements the mechanical precision isn't nearly as important.

Regarding driving mulholland drive, don't bother, or at least go before 7am on a Sat/Sun. That road has historical significance but it's so regularly traveled by tourist buses, locals, maintenance workers, etc that it's a mess of traffic and potholes. Every time I've gone I've gotten stuck behind a dump truck or EconoLine Van with the top cut off for tourists to look across the LA basin.

Angeles Crest Highway out to Newcomb's Ranch is a blast and the only traffic is motorcycles and Porsches. Definitely a better drive.
-Brent
'66 GT350 Tribute, '66 F100 4x4

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2018, 07:39:40 AM »
My affluent friends have told me the days of the 10-100k wrist watches have gone the way of the dinosaurs, they seem to have really nice looking 400-500 dollar watches that are stunning to look at, this allows for them to get more investment vehicles. ;)

You call "Playmates" investment vehicles? Really? I thought they were just tax losses?  :o
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2018, 08:20:22 AM »

Haven't worn a watch in 28 years, so my answer would be more vintage vehicles ! 

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2018, 10:08:22 AM »
I hate to say this, but I'm seen way more appreciation on my Rolex than with my Shelby.  I sure wish it were the other way around.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2018, 10:48:03 AM »
Im glad that some get happiness from their time pieces and said pricing may be higher than a few years ago but the sharks aren't circling for a time piece any more.High end Watches are drying up faster than your local Motorola beeper outlet. People just seemed to have moved on, like pay phones,mailboxes on the corner, milk man delivering fresh milk. When you look around they are just gone and no one misses them, sad really. :-\