Author Topic: Would you rather have the car or the watch?  (Read 3885 times)

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Would you rather have the car or the watch?
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2018, 03:56:46 PM »
In luxury resort areas, I see more free standing high end watch stores.  Watches used to be in cases in jewelry stores.  Now I see luxury brand time piece stores popping up year after year staffed by men and women in black suits looking for the next watch collector who want to add to their collections. And there are books and magazines to feed the collector frenzy though not as overloaded as for specialty vehicles. 

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2018, 04:04:58 PM »
It’s nice to have a decent watch but peeps got to “get real”
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

NC TRACKRAT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2018, 04:37:32 PM »
PLN was a great, dedicated racer. For years, he only acted to support his racing. We used to see him at the SCCA run-offs at Road Atlanta back in the late '70's. He just wanted to hang out with everyone and drink Buds.  A couple years back, Adam Carrola, the comedian, purchased his Porsche 935 at auction for something like $4 million and, to his credit, vintage races it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHWBSg4ClnU  As for ROLEXes, What Brian says is true.  Some watches have gone up astronomically.  Sadly, just like the cars, when I had the opportunity, I couldn't afford them.  As a lowly Ensign at Clark AFB, the PX had a brand-new ROLEX Submariner for $167 which was a little over 2 weeks pay so I passed.  If in excellent condition today, that watch would be worth around $8,000!  I owned a President a few years back but have small wrists so it looked way too big on me. I sold it and bought a smaller face Oyster Perpetual Day-Date two-tone.  My "work-on-the-cars" watch is a $25 Smith & Wesson that keeps excellent time. :)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 04:53:55 PM by NC TRACKRAT »
5S071, 6S1467