News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

SFM5s444 restoration is continuing

Started by doublemyv, August 15, 2018, 02:14:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Gaines

Quote from: doublemyv on August 23, 2018, 05:28:33 PM
The Keystone mags hadn't rolled an inch in decades.  Needless to say, they were not going to be a part of the restoration.  Thus began a 3 year search for 5 original Cragar Shelby wheels that eventually were bought from 3 different sellers around the country.  Craig Conley at Paradise Wheels did an amazing job restoring the Cragars  ( see previous photos ) that will be on the car when it is driven in anger.  Mark

Mark, did Craig restore the original rims or did he replace them with the DOT approved equivalent?
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

doublemyv

The five original rims that were purchased for this restoration all had terrible chrome steel rims, but good centers.   All five got new chrome rims welded to the steel links at the bottom of the five aluminum spokes on each wheel, and you can see the new welds on the photo showing the back of the wheel.   The new chrome rims are stamped with a date, DOT number and some other codes.   We felt that this was the best solution for 444 to have original rims that are safe to drive aggressively when the car is complete.  Mark   

doublemyv

This is an overall shot of the backside of the restored Cragar Shelby wheel.  I can get a photo of the DOT stamping if need be.  Mark

doublemyv

More Tri Y header photos from 444 when removed in 2010 to start the restoration.  Mark

doublemyv

Finally today, a close up of the grain on the vinyl spare tire cover.  This is a reproduction made by a SAAC Forum member that I bought a couple of years ago, and fits the reproduction Blue dot tire on the spare Cragar Shelby rim perfectly.   It has the heavy grained vinyl, and the smaller diameter welting.  Mark

Bob Gaines

Quote from: doublemyv on August 24, 2018, 12:21:05 PM
This is an overall shot of the backside of the restored Cragar Shelby wheel.  I can get a photo of the DOT stamping if need be.  Mark

Yes you will for sure be confident running hard on them. I didn't think he would restore them with original rims is why I asked. I was hoping to find that he did. I hope you didn't have to pay much for the cores. Unfortunately they look no different now then the repros Craig makes. The centers he makes are almost indistinguishable from originals. Many (but not all)wheel restorers decline to use non DOT (restored or not) wheel rims for liability reasons. Craig will not re rivet centers into rims (for the 67-70 Shelby) wheels that need them ether for the same reasons. I understand protecting your behind. I found a set of repros on a DIV 1,Throughbred,Diamond class entry and the entrant was very bothered that I discovered the difference. They are very close.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

doublemyv

Thanks Bob,  the depth of your Shelby knowledge never ceases to amaze me.  You are right on the money about the DOT rim portion, and I'm ok with the new hoops on the old centers.  The total cost to buy the rims, get them restored, and complete with caps & lugs is just over $ 1000 per rim.  I felt the sting on the cost, but I felt that the car's provenance and historical value was worth the effort to keep the car as original as possible, and using all original OEM/Shelby, or NOS, or restored used originals was the way to go.   By the way, I missed meeting you in person in Sonoma, and look forward to shaking hands someday.  Mark

Bob Gaines

Quote from: doublemyv on August 24, 2018, 04:32:36 PM
Thanks Bob,  the depth of your Shelby knowledge never ceases to amaze me.  You are right on the money about the DOT rim portion, and I'm ok with the new hoops on the old centers.  The total cost to buy the rims, get them restored, and complete with caps & lugs is just over $ 1000 per rim.  I felt the sting on the cost, but I felt that the car's provenance and historical value was worth the effort to keep the car as original as possible, and using all original OEM/Shelby, or NOS, or restored used originals was the way to go.   By the way, I missed meeting you in person in Sonoma, and look forward to shaking hands someday.  Mark
Mark, It would have been really cool to meet you in person. You can count on myself and others here to help you through the resto. I would rather you ask a question no matter how dumb or trivial it may seem rather then for you not to ask and get it wrong given the historical direction you are going with the restoration. Plus If we can help you to not spend money unnecessarily (doing stuff over) that is all the better.  That car deserves to be done well.

J_Speegle

Mark, good to see its coming along. Well worth the wait.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

A1965GT350

Mark;
thanks for posting your restoration pictures and keeping us arm chair restorers wanting more.
And those header pictures are fantastic  ;D haha

doublemyv

Sometimes, you have a lucky day.   Yesterday 9/25/18 Jerry Heasley called me.   You may remember Jerry's articles in various car magazines including Mustang Monthly on his Rare Finds topic.   Anyway, Jerry asked how my restoration was proceeding, and I brought him up to speed about the delays over the last couple of years, and that the restoration process was restarting.   He mentioned that he has been doing some short videos of interesting cars on his www.youtube.com channel, and wondered if car # SFM5s444 would make a good candidate for a new video.   Well, our conversation went well, and the end result is now posted on youtube under link:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-LAXoTqNV0    This is a compilation of the original photos when the car was found, and Jerry tells the background story through the video, and does a great job describing the find.  Check it out.   Mark

SFM6S087

Thanks for posting the link. Great story, great pictures, great car.

Steve

GT350Lad

Nice video mate, thanks for sharing

Cheers
6S373
6S1276