News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Cobra Registry

Started by silverton_ford, August 15, 2018, 01:20:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfm5

I've always thought that the registries would lend themselves well to being online. Keep the printed versions for those who prefer them, but an annual subscription to a database that contains the same details of all Shelby cars from 65 thru 70 makes a lot of sense. Before Google we had to go to the library.  ;D
65 GT350

wcampbell

Thanks for Clarification Ned - if it's good enough for you...it's good enough for me! I assume the online database would also reveal any factory paperwork and any docs you maintain and possess as the official SAAC COBRA registrar?

fastpace

Who is managing or maintaining the online registry? 

I purchased subscription, and while the information is great it can be a bit cumbersome to navigate when trying to do mass research.  Works great if you want to look at one specific car, but so far I have not found an easy way to go car to car (think turning the page of the registry).  From what I can see every time I have to go back to the list and then select another car.  Was wanting to look at details of cars around mine, but then each time having to go back to list, search, and re-enter is quite slow.

Would be also nice if there was a way to just access all the pictures.  When selecting photo gallery, there's minimal pictures.  There's a massive database behind with pictures of every car.  So if I'm looking for a detailed picture of some component, would be good to utilize the pictures of all cars to maybe find few examples that exist.

silverton_ford

Quote from: fastpace on October 27, 2021, 11:27:58 AM

I purchased subscription, and while the information is great it can be a bit cumbersome to navigate when trying to do mass research.  Works great if you want to look at one specific car, but so far I have not found an easy way to go car to car (think turning the page of the registry).  From what I can see every time I have to go back to the list and then select another car.  Was wanting to look at details of cars around mine, but then each time having to go back to list, search, and re-enter is quite slow.

What works for me.....  In the main area before filtering down to chassis or car number there is a list of all of the cars.  I use Ctrl+F it opens a search field for that page you are on.  I type in the last four digits of the VIN and press enter.  The computer goes to those characters you tell it to search for.  Then I hold Ctrl while I click on that car and it opens in another window.  I do this for all of the cars I want to look up....then I have several windows open that I can toggle back and forth with.  I can flip from window to window to compare between different cars.

98SVT - was 06GT

I hope Ned is getting some of the $100. Most of the info in the book comes from his years (I'd guess well over 50) of research, note and photo taking.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

fastpace

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on October 27, 2021, 03:38:28 PM
I hope Ned is getting some of the $100. Most of the info in the book comes from his years (I'd guess well over 50) of research, note and photo taking.

Not sure on how the $$ is being handled nor do I care as long as some is reinvested into keeping it all sustained, but Ned is definitely involved.  My father-in-laws car (CSX2410) was getting updated on the registry as I had provided the information to Ned.  At the time, he would have been the only one with the details as we were waiting to post anything public until we had the car into a restoration shop with fairly detailed ownership and history chain defined.

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: fastpace on October 27, 2021, 05:18:13 PM

Not sure on how the $$ is being handled nor do I care as long as some is reinvested into keeping it all sustained, but Ned is definitely involved.  My father-in-laws car (CSX2410) was getting updated on the registry as I had provided the information to Ned.  At the time, he would have been the only one with the details as we were waiting to post anything public until we had the car into a restoration shop with fairly detailed ownership and history chain defined.

Anyone buying a Cobra will still need to talk to Ned. There is a lot of facts he knows that owners like to sue over to keep them secret. Yes it's fact but publishing those facts can cost you a lot of attorney fees proving that it's not you ruining a cars value but the pure and simple fact it was built out of thin air or from a piece of one that still exists.

Cobra Ned

Quote from: wcampbell on October 27, 2021, 08:39:53 AM
I assume the online database would also reveal any factory paperwork and any docs you maintain and possess as the official SAAC COBRA registrar?

Where we have factory paperwork, it is referenced in the car's description within the Registry. We do not reprint it there. If a car's owner requests copies, we provide them.

Cobra Ned

Surely I can't be old enough to have been collecting data for over 50 years, right? And I get a token payment for each book sold, while the online version is gratis. It likely goes without saying that paying Registrars for their work might lead to problems. Unless they work for the validity of the data instead of a financial reward, their efforts could be corrupted. I don't want to discuss the number of times I have been offered money to insert incorrect data. Sorry, guys - it ain't happening.

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: Cobra Ned on October 27, 2021, 10:35:28 PM

Surely I can't be old enough to have been collecting data for over 50 years, right?

I guess I should have said nearly 50  ;D We did just have SAAC 46.

S7MS427

Surely I can't be old enough to have been collecting data for over 50 years, right? And I get a token payment for each book sold, while the online version is gratis. It likely goes without saying that paying Registrars for their work might lead to problems. Unless they work for the validity of the data instead of a financial reward, their efforts could be corrupted. I don't want to discuss the number of times I have been offered money to insert incorrect data. Sorry, guys - it ain't happening.
Thank you for for dedication to the integrity of the data. Can't say I'm surprised to find out that some wanted to legitimize false data. Your efforts are part of the reason that the various club registries are so highly respected. Kudos to you for doing what you do!
Roy Simkins
http://www.s-techent.com/Shelby.htm
1966 G.T.350H SFM6S817
1967 G.T.500 67400F7A03040

shelbydoug

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on October 27, 2021, 10:48:01 PM

Surely I can't be old enough to have been collecting data for over 50 years, right?

I guess I should have said nearly 50  ;D We did just have SAAC 46.

There were early attempts. The Cobra Club around '72 and Jim Cowles around the same time. I'm unaware of any other attempts which may exist.

Ned is one of the least corruptible individuals I've ever met or known of.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Cobra Ned

I appreciate the comments. Thank you, Roy and Doug. But I would hate to think that everyone should accept these thoughts absent any proof. So please feel free to send cash and checks to me, C/O SAAC, and let's just see for ourselves how much of what you send actually makes it into the Registry. Don't be shy.  :-*

shelbydoug

Quote from: Cobra Ned on October 29, 2021, 08:39:41 AM
I appreciate the comments. Thank you, Roy and Doug. But I would hate to think that everyone should accept these thoughts absent any proof. So please feel free to send cash and checks to me, C/O SAAC, and let's just see for ourselves how much of what you send actually makes it into the Registry. Don't be shy.  :-*

I have a cancelled check here for you but somehow you never got it? Strange? Where did the $100 go to?
It would gone into the "General Fund" at SAAC anyway. You would never get it.

I didn't suggest that you were not corruptible, just the least corruptible person that I have ever met. There is a significant difference.  ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!