News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Little Red

Started by Coralsnake, August 17, 2018, 08:33:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coralsnake

The car is remaining as a 1967, but there will be a Mustang built to show the 1968 features. allegedly 🤭

Quote from: 427heaven on January 16, 2020, 06:18:21 PM
Also whos got the mounting plate and brackets to mount both blowers at an affordable, not one off price. Heard about cost of the hardware and stopped dreaming. Maybe now, or is VOGT the only one with the plate?

Does anyone know why the Cobra Automotive dual Paxton GT500 setup has the the supercharger units so much farther apart than on Little Red?  I think the photo shows the Cobra Automotive setup on a 427 rather than a 428, but that should not make a difference.

CharlesTurner

Quote from: 1968 on April 21, 2021, 02:52:34 PM
Does anyone know why the Cobra Automotive dual Paxton GT500 setup has the the supercharger units so much farther apart than on Little Red?  I think the photo shows the Cobra Automotive setup on a 427 rather than a 428, but that should not make a difference.

My guess is due to battery interference on Little Red and in an effort to keep them symmetrical.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Quote from: CharlesTurner on April 21, 2021, 02:54:28 PM
Quote from: 1968 on April 21, 2021, 02:52:34 PM

My guess is due to battery interference on Little Red and in an effort to keep them symmetrical.

That makes sense.  It seems that the Cobra Automotive setup requires the battery to be relocated.  I actually think the Cobra Automotive setup looks more symmetrical.

Don Johnston

Is the twin Paxton big block set up from Cobra Automotive the same or similar to the small block twin Paxton setup from Paradise Wheels? 8)

Side-Oilers

Easier packaging and charge-air hose routing?
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

gt350hr

The entire "vintage" Paxton manufacturing operation is owned by Craig Conley who also owns Paradise wheels. He assisted in the Little Red project as I did.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Quote from: gt350hr on April 21, 2021, 05:03:44 PM
   The entire "vintage" Paxton manufacturing operation is owned by Craig Conley who also owns Paradise wheels. He assisted in the Little Red project as I did.

Does Craig Conley also sell (or plan to sell) the brackets for the FE (GT500) Little Red-style dual Paxton setup now?  Prior to the Little Red restoration, it seems that only Cobra Automotive had the brackets, and they were a slightly different setup from those used on Little Red, as shown in the photos ^.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 1968 on April 21, 2021, 05:49:56 PM

Does Craig Conley also sell (or plan to sell) the brackets for the FE (GT500) Little Red-style dual Paxton setup now?  Prior to the Little Red restoration, it seems that only Cobra Automotive had the brackets, and they were a slightly different setup from those used on Little Red, as shown in the photos ^.
The little red configuration and brackets from what I understand is a combination of research and best guess scenario. One off vintage little red SC aside, If you want a blower on a FE a somewhat similar looking single modern paxton blower will push more air then the duel vintage versions. I can only imagine the under hood heat and lack of air circulation the duel paxtons have on FE cooling in a bigblock Mustang body.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Quote from: Bob Gaines on April 21, 2021, 06:44:59 PM
Quote from: 1968 on April 21, 2021, 05:49:56 PM

The little red configuration and brackets from what I understand is a combination of research and best guess scenario. One off vintage little red SC aside, If you want a blower on a FE a somewhat similar looking single modern paxton blower will push more air then the duel vintage versions. I can only imagine the under hood heat and lack of air circulation the duel paxtons have on FE cooling in a bigblock Mustang body.

Heat?  That might be the least of the concerns with that setup! 8)

gt350hr

When using a set up like this with a "common plenum" intake ( unlike the Edeldrock "cross ram" used on the two Cobras) is blower output MUST be as identical as possible or the "stronger one" will hurt output from the "weaker one". The cross ram separated the engine into essentially two four cylinder manifolds each fed with one blower. Using the Ford manifold allows the "balance passage" in between the two carburetors "could" present an problem "if" one blower had more boost than the other. The reason two blowers are needed on a 427-428 is simply air flow capacity and potential for "boost". A single Paxton doesn't move enough air to supply the larger capacity engine so two are required to get a 5-7 reading on a boost gauge. As Bob mentioned there are more modern designs that can produce 30+ PSI boost as a single.
     Randy

But wouldn't you have a similar problem with the cross ram intake if one blower had more output than the other?  It seems like it might be even worse since the "common plenum" intake would result in less overall boost in that situation while the cross ram intake would result in basically half the engine running with less boost.

So, obviously the dual Paxtons were never offered as a production option.  But would the Little Red dual Paxton 428 "experiment" be considered a failure mechanically?  I thought I heard someone say somewhere that they blew the engine in Little Red somehow while testing back in 1968.  If so, then maybe that would not have happened if they had used a 427 block, like on the dual Paxton 427 Cobra car?

gt350hr

The Edelbrock manifold was the correct way to go and the blowers were better matched cubic inch wise. While the power "could have been" off a bit from bank to bank , the blowers were "fighting'' each other.
    The Little Red engine blew up because of a lack of oil in the pan and too small of an oil pick up tube which caused oil starvation. I heard that direct from Vince when he was helping me with my 289 engine. It also had too much compression for anything but Chevron "white pump'' that was THE highest octane ( 101+) back then. The cross bolt 427 block would not have saved it from failing in this case.

Quote from: gt350hr on April 22, 2021, 04:06:19 PM
The Edelbrock manifold was the correct way to go and the blowers were better matched cubic inch wise. While the power "could have been" off a bit from bank to bank , the blowers were "fighting'' each other.
    The Little Red engine blew up because of a lack of oil in the pan and too small of an oil pick up tube which caused oil starvation. I heard that direct from Vince when he was helping me with my 289 engine. It also had too much compression for anything but Chevron "white pump'' that was THE highest octane ( 101+) back then. The cross bolt 427 block would not have saved it from failing in this case.

Is it known which intake manifold Little Red used for the dual Paxton setup?

67411F--0100-ENG.

Quote from: 1968 on April 22, 2021, 10:30:53 PM
Quote from: gt350hr on April 22, 2021, 04:06:19 PM

Is it known which intake manifold Little Red used for the dual Paxton setup?

I believe the car retained the stock C7ZX MR intake manifold.

Eric