Author Topic: 66 350 ignition? question  (Read 6314 times)

zray

• View Profile
Re: 66 350 ignition? question
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2018, 09:12:25 AM »
".......no matter what Zray says, points are problematic, especially with the poor quality Chinese made products. They just don't hold up......" 

what zray says (but no matter):

the echlin brand that NAPA sells has a very good quality of points. Am getting 20,000+ miles per set from them, with no burning, and little wear and Ohm meter showing zero resistance. I wonder how long it takes the average Shelby owmer to put 20,000 miles on their car ?

Adjustment check at 7,500 mile intervals are  often done without needing a screwdriver to change anything.

The part of the original ignition that IS becoming a little tricky is the CONDENSER, with the Echlin brand again being the best of the newly manufactured condensers. I wouldn't be throwing away any used Ford condensers however until they are proved to be bad. As with other parts (like rear end gears for example)  a good used Ford part is often better than what is being manufactured today.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Z.

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2018, 10:41:10 AM »
If you're running a stock engine, I suppose points will suffice. They start easier and are more efficient electronic ignition.  I am running the Pertronix II. It sets the dwell automatically too. The III is designed for multiple spark and has an adjustable rev limiter built in.  If you leave the ignition on it also doesn't fry the points and condenser.  The high failure rate was people not reading the instructions and giving the unit a full 12V ignition source.
Yes, I kept my dual points in case a new owner wants to deal with points.

-Keith

zray

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2018, 11:53:59 AM »
Yes, some P failures are certainly due to faulty installation. I'll just put down the failures I've observed to bad luck, poor Q-C, or a combination of black-magic, voodoo, and witchcraft, as they all were getting a full 12v.

Points vs. electronic ignition  is one of those topics like  synthetic vs Dino oil. I guess whatever is working for a person is what they prefer.

Z

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2018, 01:07:11 PM »
".......no matter what Zray says, points are problematic, especially with the poor quality Chinese made products. They just don't hold up......" 

the echlin brand that NAPA sells has a very good quality of points. Am getting 20,000+ miles per set from them, with no burning, and little wear and Ohm meter showing zero resistance. I wonder how long it takes the average Shelby owmer to put 20,000 miles on their car ?

[/color]takes me about 2 years at the present rate of driving [/color
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 01:13:08 PM by Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas »
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2018, 01:20:50 PM »

How many miles do you have on that beautiful machine Steve?

Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

tblackgt350

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2018, 11:02:05 PM »
 Sorry I'm late to reply; I went to Monterey for car week and haven't checked my email for a few days. I am running old hipo type plug wires, not new spiral metal stuff. I am running the pertronix coil that is made for this module; I'll check to see if the module has moved tomorrow evening.
 Thanks again.

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2018, 07:54:58 AM »

How many miles do you have on that beautiful machine Steve?

Just turned 235,000 Saturday on a 200 mile drive to a show and back, even won an award for top pick out of the 800+ cars that were there
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎