Author Topic: T-10 stencil  (Read 1864 times)

430dragpack

• View Profile
T-10 stencil
« on: January 12, 2023, 11:31:26 AM »
Did the Cobra cast iron T-10’s have any partial Ford part number stenciled on the side, similar to the yellow ID stamps on top loaders?

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
Re: T-10 stencil
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2023, 01:01:01 PM »
Don't believe so. Different supplier so different way of marking and visually identifying
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

430dragpack

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2023, 01:19:52 PM »
Don't believe so. Different supplier so different way of marking and visually identifying
Thanks Jeff!
What do you mean by “different supplier”?  That Shelby didn’t get them from Ford?   Or that B/W didn’t stencil them like Ford did on their top loaders?

I’m asking because I have a guy bringing me a 63 or 64 T-10 to look at, that has what appears to be C3O?-? stenciled on the side, from the picture he showed me.  I’m sure it’s not out of a Cobra, but was wondering if that detail would be on a Cobra transmission.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2023, 01:23:38 PM by 430dragpack »

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2023, 02:49:00 PM »

What do you mean by “different supplier”?  That Shelby didn’t get them from Ford?   Or that B/W didn’t stencil them like Ford did on their top loaders? 

Or that B/W didn’t stencil them like Ford did on their top loaders. Different plant and supplier so different ways of identifying

I’m asking because I have a guy bringing me a 63 or 64 T-10 to look at, that has what appears to be C3O?-? stenciled on the side, from the picture he showed me.  I’m sure it’s not out of a Cobra, but was wondering if that detail would be on a Cobra transmission.

Now you might have found or seen on that was a service replacement/NOS that was in the system as a replacement part and for that reason needed some identification markings because of that. Similar to fenders having no stenciled part number on them if installed on the assembly line but in the parts system, supplying body shops and parts counters they did. Another example would be rear leaf springs were they were unpainted and no stencil numbers for assembly line but if service part were often painted black and had a stenciled part number
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

430dragpack

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2023, 03:01:06 PM »
Here it is, he just dropped it off.  Obviously the shifter is aftermarket.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2023, 03:04:30 PM by 430dragpack »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2023, 04:13:57 PM »
289 Cobra T10 trans were typically all aluminum weren't they ?
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Dan Case

• CSX2310
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2023, 04:15:38 PM »
Did the Cobra cast iron T-10’s have any partial Ford part number stenciled on the side, similar to the yellow ID stamps on top loaders?

Yes. Right hand side "C3AAH" in yellow. There was also usually some free hand marking applied in something like paint pencil, meaning unknown.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2023, 04:23:39 PM by Dan Case »
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2023, 04:19:46 PM »

Yes. Right hand side "C3AAH". There was also usually some free hand marking applied in something like paint pencil, meaning unknown.

Thanks Dan

AS you know Cobra's are not my focus and only attempting - incorrectly on this point _ to help out  ::)

430dragpack - Thanks for posting. First time for me but as mentioned not a Cobra guy

Dan Case

• CSX2310
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2023, 04:20:32 PM »

Cobras (any engine) used cast iron cased C3AAH transmissions until just before the middle of the CSX2101-CSX2200 group. That is street cars. Shelby American also registered a few custom special gear set transmissions with the Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile (F.I.A.) race sanctioning organization for Cobra roadsters from early on. The mystery time frame for production Cobra case materials was roughly between when iron cased standard Ford units were used for CSX2115 (completed as a car June 1963), CSX2125 with iron cases, and  the special Cobra transmissions with aluminum cases that appeared by the time CSX2136-2138 were completed (completed as SAI team race cars about August 1963). CSX2126 would NOT be in the discussion because it was finished before CSX2080.
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

430dragpack

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2023, 04:25:47 PM »
Thanks fellas!!  Hadn’t seen too many T-10s with the markings still on them and was curious if a Cobra had the stamps as well. 

Cobra Pack

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2023, 09:48:40 AM »

Cobras (any engine) used cast iron cased C3AAH transmissions until just before the middle of the CSX2101-CSX2200 group. That is street cars. Shelby American also registered a few custom special gear set transmissions with the Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile (F.I.A.) race sanctioning organization for Cobra roadsters from early on. The mystery time frame for production Cobra case materials was roughly between when iron cased standard Ford units were used for CSX2115 (completed as a car June 1963), CSX2125 with iron cases, and  the special Cobra transmissions with aluminum cases that appeared by the time CSX2136-2138 were completed (completed as SAI team race cars about August 1963). CSX2126 would NOT be in the discussion because it was finished before CSX2080.

Dan - What is your view of the Sebring cars (CSX2127-CSX2129)?  Did they originally use iron or aluminum T-10s?

Dan Case

• CSX2310
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2023, 10:55:56 AM »

The mystery time frame for production Cobra case materials was roughly between when iron cased standard Ford units were used for CSX2115 (completed as a car June 1963), CSX2125 with iron cases, and  the special Cobra transmissions with aluminum cases that appeared by the time CSX2136-2138 were completed (completed as SAI team race cars about August 1963). CSX2126 would NOT be in the discussion because it was finished before CSX2080.

Dan - What is your view of the Sebring cars (CSX2127-CSX2129)?  Did they originally use iron or aluminum T-10s?

I do not have a view so to speak, I am open to initial completion evidence if someone has it. Myself, I do not have any dated positive identification period pictures of those three cars being completed the first time.
Dan Case