News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

How many are left?

Started by Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas, August 21, 2018, 09:03:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

A question I get asked a lot of times at a show or Cruise in is "How many were built"? Followed by by "well how many are left"?
So I throw the question to the experts, how many of the Hertz cars are still out there and how many of the different color combinations, Black/gold, Red/gold, Blue/gold, White/gold, and my personal favorite Green/gold
I could take the registry and count them one by one but that would take a long time, so anyone have a number?
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

shelbydoug

The Registrar can punch that into his computer and give you the latest numbers.  ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

alexgt350h

Yes, and while the Registrar is at it, how many of the 4-speed Hertz cars are left?

98SVT - was 06GT

Won't work - as Little Red has shown there are cars tucked away that are unknown to the registrar. The number you get will be a "known to exist" but will never be accurate.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

shelbydoug

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on August 21, 2018, 09:35:35 PM
Won't work - as Little Red has shown there are cars tucked away that are unknown to the registrar. The number you get will be a "known to exist" but will never be accurate.

You can't know what is unknown. In addition, SOME of the documentation in all of the Registries is old, sourced from other documentation such as warranty service records when new and some of those listed as owners have never acknowledged anything.

Numbers like, how many were made as four speeds largely are known because of access to various Ford records, but how can you know who owns anything. To this day there are owners that do not want to be recognized and consider all of their ownership information proprietary.

How exactly Keith Jackson found Little Red, claiming a DMV search, is amazing. States didn't keep computer records from back then and some states, if not all were non-title states. Also some states like California have privacy rules. They were enacted to protect celebrates generally but freedom of information generally doesn't apply to the DMV.

Howard Parde was one of the first to try that in the '70s and he got turned away as far as I was told.

Even if you could do the search, some of the early Shelbys which were stolen and never recovered are suspected to have been re-registered by the Ford numbers.

In NY, when given a Cobra CSX number would say, "what is that", it doesn't compute. Forget about a GT40.

Engineering cars when "new" never showed as registered. They were running around on Manufacturers plates that were for fleet cars.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

FL SAAC

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on August 21, 2018, 09:35:35 PM

Add to that Jimmy's missing car, as he would say mojo rising ...
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

Just interested in the 66 Hertz cars,
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

FL SAAC

Quote from: Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas on August 22, 2018, 08:36:29 AM

understood Mc just having a little fun, bullit in mejico, lil red, lil wayne and then jimmys long lost (crushed) rising from the ashes also...sorry

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

shelbydoug

Quote from: Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas on August 22, 2018, 08:36:29 AM

Send an email to Howard Parde. Apparently he no longer shows up here anymore too. This is like a plague?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

CharlesTurner

Quote from: shelbydoug on August 22, 2018, 06:56:11 AM
States didn't keep computer records from back then and some states, if not all were non-title states. Also some states like California have privacy rules. They were enacted to protect celebrates generally but freedom of information generally doesn't apply to the DMV.

North Carolina has all the records on microfiche.  A title history search can still be requested, but they make you sign a form that it's only to be used for 'research' or that you're the actual owner.  On cars I've searched for in the past, they sometimes have a copy of the original MSO from Ford.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

gt350hr

Of the 1,000(1)  It's easy to say 4 or 5 thousand still exist (joking) because of "clones". Being serious I would speculate at least 75% are still around. I am painfully aware of several (here in So Cal) that were in junkyards and scrapped.
    Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

1967 eight barrel

There are too many who aren't part of the registry. He can tell you how many he has registered...

acman63

Quote from: shelbydoug on August 22, 2018, 08:45:04 AM

Send an email to Howard Parde. Apparently he no longer shows up here anymore too. This is like a plague?

Doug   whats like a plague - please explain!    Just because someone doesnt scope out the forum every day doesnt mean anything.  Maybe hes got bigger fish to fry than hanging out here
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

Vernon Estes

Quote from: shelbydoug on August 22, 2018, 08:45:04 AM

Howard has never seemed to follow the forum on a daily basis..nothing unusual there and nothing wrong with that.

Howard has always been extremely giving of his time in replying to emails from me and others. Emailing him directly is the best way to reach him if you need to.

Kind regards,
Vern
Junk dealer and the oldest young guy you will ever know.

gt350cs

Well said Vern.

Howard has always been great to work with.