News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Are Non 66 Hertz Cars Special?

Started by Fastback66, August 22, 2018, 06:21:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fastback66

I understand 66 Hertz cars were unique  in that they were black red, green or blue with gold stripes and the rocker stated GT350H. I've seen a few 68-69 Shelby's advertised for sale as Hertz cars as though they were special or different. Other than the fact they were rental cars is there anything unique about a 68-69 Shelby Hertz vice the non Hertz cars such as special paint or wheels?

GT350AUS

J_Speegle

No in general there is nothing different on the Hertz rental cars as delivered to Hertz. The fact that they were rentals is what makes them different - both by association and by their limited numbers but unique/special is a word that could be used to describe just about any car if you focus on all the details. from what I've seen they were pretty much ordered all the same as you would expect and like 66 only different in color like the early cars again

If they were different or identifiable like the 66's Ford might have had more difficulty selling them after the lease was over or it might have affected the resale value like it did in 67-68 for the 66's
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Fastback66 on August 22, 2018, 06:21:55 PM
I understand 66 Hertz cars were unique  in that they were black red, green or blue with gold stripes and the rocker stated GT350H. I've seen a few 68-69 Shelby's advertised for sale as Hertz cars as though they were special or different. Other than the fact they were rental cars is there anything unique about a 68-69 Shelby Hertz vice the non Hertz cars such as special paint or wheels?
Quote from: J_Speegle on August 22, 2018, 09:48:14 PM
If they were different or identifiable like the 66's Ford might have had more difficulty selling them after the lease was over or it might have affected the resale value like it did in 67-68 for the 66's
To add to Jeff's post FYI the 66 Hertz cars were looked at as second class citizens by the buying public because they were ex rental cars. Dealers tried many tricks including repainting cars from the familiar black and gold colors so as not to be recognized as the ex rental cars.  It wasn't until about 25 years ago that the values equaled and even in some cases eclipsed the regular 66 GT 350's.The stigma was gone.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

98SVT - was 06GT

Also not all 66 Hertz cars got LeMans stripes.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

6s1640

This term "non-Hertz" has always bothered me.  I like S-model.  Sounds similar to R-model.  These cars could also be called  non-R-model, non-convertible, non factory drag car.  And after 6S252, they are non carry over cars or non-left-overs.   The first 252 66's were called "near spec cars" back in the day,  making cars after 6S252 called full spec cars or now "non near spec cars".   (Am I driving you crazy yet?   I have more.)   There is a small group of cars that are pre-Hertz and post-Hertz.  Back in the day the Hertz cars were called Rent-A-Wreck, now fondly Rent-A-Racer.  (I am sure we can come up with more.) Though some of these terms may not be in the hobbies popular vernacular or recognized terms, they can be accurate for describing the regular 66 GT350's, which I also don't like.  There is nothing regular about a GT350, H or not. They are all unique and have a story to tell.  You pick your favorite term.

Take care

Cory

Bigfoot

For some strange reason which I'm sure is easily explained by what someone ordered or what someone picked (away from ordering individual) I've seen several red on red 69 Hertz Cars.
Red on red Shelby pretty rare.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Coralsnake

In 1968, there is no difference, no special colors, striping or badging. The vast majority were automatic, air conditioning cars.

gt350hr

The '66s were the only "somewhat" different Hertz  cars. The stripes were 98.2 percent gold and there were 18 white with blue side stripe cars ( per SAI notes) "Some" had the "Mico piggyback" master cylinder ( but so did some NON Hertz cars) and "some" had a speedometer cable lock and parking brake warning light but not "ALL". They were "all" supposed to have Chrome Magnum wheels though there are claims that some had ten spokes. Not "all" had LeMans ( roof) stripes. The white/blue side stripe cars didn't and I have seen several red cars that didn't. I'm not sure about other colors and expect others to remind me. Honestly back then it was all about shipping cars to them as fast as they could finish them. These cars were the main reason for so many production changes ( read time saving) were incorporated , like the change to under ride traction bars.
     For '68 and on they were just standard production cars.
       Corrections welcomed,
          Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

roddster

Pretty much EVERY Shelby (of every year) is special.  I have seen a blue interior, blue outside painted 66 Shelby.  I've seen a red interior, red exterior Hertz 69 GT 350.  Both were cool in their own way.

TOBKOB

QuoteI've seen several red on red 69 Hertz Cars.
Red on red Shelby pretty rare.

I've also seen a white/blue stripes 69 Hertz with red interior. It was delivered on the same truck as my Competition Red car. They were both Hertz cars. The car looked good until it was unloaded and you could see the red interior. That combination just didn't look right to me.   :o

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: roddster on August 23, 2018, 11:41:40 AM
  Pretty much EVERY Shelby (of every year) is special.  I have seen a blue interior, blue outside painted 66 Shelby.  I've seen a red interior, red exterior Hertz 69 GT 350.  Both were cool in their own way.
A friend passed on buying a blue/parchment 66 because we thought it was fake - after all in 65-66 you could have any interior color as long as it was black. When I bought 843 the only thing I knew for sure was they had limiting cables on the rearend they were there so I figured it was real.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless