News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

So I'm stopped at a red light.....

Started by sfm5s081, August 22, 2018, 09:39:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfm5s081

So I'm stopped at a red light today, and a lexus pulls up along side of me. I look over and I see two mechanics from the local Porsche stealership. "Nice car, is that a 66," the first one says. I respond back, "1965, but pretty close!" The the other guy says, "it's absolutely beautiful, how could you drive it?" Of course my retort was, "how could I not?" Good times nonetheless. I guess there are only a few of us who actually drive our cars and even fewer who drive them as intended to be. Am I wrong?

Are you wrong?  au' contraire, you are spot-on.

Way to represent!

A1965GT350

JD

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Don Johnston

Also great that they appreciated your ride and had vague familiarity as to what it is.  Obviously they researched the competition.

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

I drive mine all the time, things need repairing, maintenance needs to be done, it gets the occasional scratch or chip, the front gets covered in bugs, but it's fun to drive and it's nothing like the new ones, which are faster, get better mileage, ride better and have all those creature comforts.
But when you have the change to "hang foot into it". The world's changes, your pulse quickens and you realize what all the fuss is about.
Plus it's nice when someone admires it
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

A1965GT350

Quote from: Don Johnston on August 22, 2018, 10:13:20 PM
Also great that they appreciated your ride and had vague familiarity as to what it is.  Obviously they researched the competition.
Even though I know what the response will be, I show the millennials i work with a picture (they don't have the patience to look at more than one) of a 1965 GT350 and many say that "My grandpa had a one". When I try to explain that back in the day, car makes had different performance versions, their eyes glaze over and start to look at their iPhones. This is what to expect from a guy born in 1992 (yipes ! haha) in a time when there are not Prius GT's or 'R' models,  ;)

Don Johnston

Well, tell them that the R Model put the battery in the trunk just like the Prius.  Ahead of its time.  8)

stangman39

I try to take my 68 GT out at least once or twice a month...more in the cooler weather when AC isn't needed.
A few months ago I stuck 2 kids seats in the back and took the fam to a car cruise...first one for the kids.
They loved it.  My 2 year old wants a pink Mustang and my 4 year old wants her 5 year old bday party to be Mustang themed  :)

kjspeed

My 18-year old grandson spent a little time with us this past week before heading back to college. He's all into baseball and not a big car guy at all. Baffles me how that generation fills every spare moment of their time with Fortnight or MLB video games when they aren't living actual life. My neighbor also had some friends and family down from Ohio to do some fishing and Tuesday morning he texted me and said they wanted to see the Shelby. One of them is restoring a 65 K-code but he was the only "car guy."

So I asked my grandson if he wanted to go for a ride and we pulled the car out and warmed it up. The neighbor and his buddies came over and gave the car a good looking over (the Mustang guy was on his hands and knees looking it over and under). After they had an eyeful, they headed back home walking down the street and my grandson and I pulled out for a drive. The motor was all warmed up and I just couldn't resist blasting past them twisting it up to 6500 in 1st and 2nd. We continued our Tuesday morning drive with a couple more quick blasts and a easy cruise on some country roads and then returned home. As we pulled into the driveway my grandson commented "I don't think it's possible to ride in this thing without having a grin from ear-to-ear."

Mission: Accomplished
1968 Shelby GT350
1968 Mustang GT S-code
2009 Mustang Bullitt

FL SAAC

we once viewed a shelby driven in the rain and it did not melt...
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

It always seems to rain when I'm out in my car
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

FL SAAC

steve one of our favorite pictures, our 2007 gth in a gully washer
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

deathsled

Quote from: sfm5s081 on August 22, 2018, 09:39:05 PM
So I'm stopped at a red light today, and a lexus pulls up along side of me. I look over and I see two mechanics from the local Porsche stealership. "Nice car, is that a 66," the first one says. I respond back, "1965, but pretty close!" The the other guy says, "it's absolutely beautiful, how could you drive it?" Of course my retort was, "how could I not?" Good times nonetheless. I guess there are only a few of us who actually drive our cars and even fewer who drive them as intended to be. Am I wrong?

Great retort! 
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

terlingua11

I did this for my brother a few years back...... gotta drive it-
SFM6S1904
88 Saleen 19R