Author Topic: Cars & Coffee Story  (Read 2564 times)

Rickmustang

• SAAC Member
  • "What's behind you, doesn't matter"
    • View Profile
Cars & Coffee Story
« on: August 23, 2018, 02:01:00 PM »
I decided to take my '65 to Cars and Coffee Austin event at the Circuit of Americas last Sunday. This is a big event with over 800 cars. However, there are few old cars there. Anyway, I was told multiple times how much someone appreciated me bringing it out, and it was the best car there. Mostly by older guys, of course. Then a young (early 20's) guy walks up and says what a great car and he has one too. Ya right....Turns out his dad bought him a '65 Shelby for his 18th birthday. He does not drive it and keeps it in a vault that is for car storage. He showed me pictures. Rear battery, early car that he says was CS's car. He did not know the serial number, but invited me over to see the car and help him learn about it. Small world. And I thought I had the only one in town lol. There was a Ferrari F40 and Saleen S7 there, along with numerous of Ferrari's, Lambo's, and McLaren's. This was a great event!
1965 G.T. 350
1967 Fairlane GT - 390 4-speed
1970 Mach 1 - 428CJ 4-speed/AC
1971 Mach 1 - 429CJ auto/AC
2005 Ford GT

A1965GT350

• View Profile
Re: Cars & Coffee Story
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 03:29:51 PM »
You might be the spark that lights this young guys enthusiasm for everything automotive. Most of all our GT350's. Maybe you can get him to join SAAC   ;D  Guys his age in our club maybe rarer than finding an NOS date code correct Blue Dot.  ;)

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 07:53:50 PM »
You might be the spark that lights this young guys enthusiasm for everything automotive. Most of all our GT350's. Maybe you can get him to join SAAC   ;D  Guys his age in our club maybe rarer than finding an NOS date code correct Blue Dot.  ;)

+ 1
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

mark p

• SAAC Member
  • south NJ - Philly 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 08:44:24 AM »
Cool story, at least some of the young 'uns are interested  :)
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2018, 09:00:17 AM »
That is awesome, sounds like dad also knows these cars are special.
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2018, 05:30:55 PM »
If my father spent 500k on a car that is recognized by a serial number I'm sure he would make the number VERY IMPORTANT to my understanding if ya know what I mean. :-[

Rickmustang

• SAAC Member
  • "What's behind you, doesn't matter"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2018, 08:58:16 PM »
Lol. I told him the serial number was the first thing knowledgeable people would ask about.
1965 G.T. 350
1967 Fairlane GT - 390 4-speed
1970 Mach 1 - 428CJ 4-speed/AC
1971 Mach 1 - 429CJ auto/AC
2005 Ford GT