Author Topic: 1969 FMX dip stick finish  (Read 5764 times)

aboss4tg

• View Profile
1969 FMX dip stick finish
« on: August 23, 2018, 05:46:51 PM »
Okay, getting the motor dropped in today with the FMX, need to know what the finish is on the dip stick. Natural, painted or ? The tube is a Robins Egg color so we have that painted and installed.

Would like to post current pictures but seems a little difficult. Any help would be appreciated.
69 GT 350 Hertz
66 Convertible C code
66 Fastback A code
88 Saleen
89 SSP

kjspeed

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1969 FMX dip stick finish
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 07:27:56 PM »
To post pics, see if this works for you:

Reply to the thread and then click on "Attachments and other options" under the main post body. Under "Attach:" use the Choose File to browse your computer for the file you want. You can click "(more attachments)" under that to add a total of 4, then Post.

If that doesn't work you'll have to do it the long way: http://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=206.0
1968 Shelby GT350
1968 Mustang GT S-code
2009 Mustang Bullitt

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 09:27:13 PM »
Okay, getting the motor dropped in today with the FMX, need to know what the finish is on the dip stick. Natural, painted or ? The tube is a Robins Egg color so we have that painted and installed.

Would like to post current pictures but seems a little difficult. Any help would be appreciated.
Robin's egg blue is a very accurate description of the correct 69 GT350 trans dipstick.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 09:56:57 PM »
Some pictures - hope they help

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

aboss4tg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 05:38:28 PM »
Car is getting closer, these are from a few weeks ago. Now have the front suspension on and on four wheels. The valve covers are not correct, just a set used for the photos.
69 GT 350 Hertz
66 Convertible C code
66 Fastback A code
88 Saleen
89 SSP

aboss4tg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2018, 05:46:09 PM »
A few more photos. Car is running now and working on the small details with your help from the Forum.

69 GT 350 Hertz
66 Convertible C code
66 Fastback A code
88 Saleen
89 SSP

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2018, 06:31:44 PM »
A few more photos. Car is running now and working on the small details with your help from the Forum.
With that said I thought I would mention that the lower A/C compressor bracket was not painted black but bare cast iron color. Positive battery cable is not ether with that red rubber cover. comments meant in a helpful way.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

aboss4tg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2018, 05:52:37 AM »
Comments and any help are appreciated. These are easy to fix before everything is assembled.
 On the battery cable, what is correct? The set I purchased came that way from the vendor, NPD.
69 GT 350 Hertz
66 Convertible C code
66 Fastback A code
88 Saleen
89 SSP

cj750

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2018, 01:42:06 PM »
I was under the impression it should be this style:

Every post I make comes with an implied request for corrections. I'm here to learn.

Ldouble619

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2018, 05:23:14 PM »
I'm still learning, but I believe the oil filter should be engine blue.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2018, 05:26:59 PM »
I was under the impression it should be this style:

Yes, that is the 67-69/70 Shelby style. Also a preferred orientation of the positive and negative cable. Sorry for the fuzzy illustration out of the 69 assemblyline manual but you can get the idea.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2018, 05:32:14 PM »
I'm still learning, but I believe the oil filter should be engine blue.
It depends on if you are trying to restore to a point before the first oil change or after. A later filter after the first oil change would be a Autolite FL1 . The filters were block color blue from the mfg for assemblyline installed filters. They were not painted on the engine . 

SNAKEBIT

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2018, 06:08:39 PM »
Mr. Gaines, as usual, great input. So, the positive cable he has is incorrect or just its position according to the assembly line manual? Does anyone make a copy of the assembly line filter? I guess, as long as you have an Autolite FL-1 it will look correct.
Waitin' for the day I get my first '70 Shelby convertible!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2018, 10:15:28 PM »
Mr. Gaines, as usual, great input. So, the positive cable he has is incorrect or just its position according to the assembly line manual? Does anyone make a copy of the assembly line filter? I guess, as long as you have an Autolite FL-1 it will look correct.
The positive cable in his picture is incorrect. If you don't have a assemblyline blue filter there are at least two ways to approach the problem. You can take a original  FLI Autolite filter and paint it Ford engine blue . You can also take a reproduction FL1 filter and paint it Ford
engine blue . 

SNAKEBIT

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2018, 07:21:51 PM »
What are the correct cables for a '69-'70 model?
Waitin' for the day I get my first '70 Shelby convertible!