News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

What did Selby do for the 2 1/2" brake upgrade?

Started by Pcunder, August 26, 2018, 12:08:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbydoug

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on August 27, 2018, 08:09:49 PM
Quote from: J_Speegle on August 26, 2018, 10:01:09 PM
Also other Ford products like the T-Birds
Tbird also had the larger 4 piston calipers. They will mount easily if you also get the adapters (which someone is remaking in aluminum).

IF you are referring to the "Big Ford" '67 calipers, yes they mount up. These are what was used on the '67 TA cars but they will not fit all wheels.

15" ten spokes take some finagling to fit.

The current "application" would refer to '67 Galaxie/Thunderbird, caliper and rotor.

Several people are manufacturing the adapter but they are made to fit on the '68 Mustang 428 drum brake hub which uses four bolts rather then the three bolt disc brake hub. This one uses a thicker diameter spindle as well.

The one that was used with the 60 series tires on the '69's.

They take a vented rotor that is "nominally" 12" od and is 1.25" thick.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

texas swede

What's the difference between the Mustang and GT350 valves as regards the number of treads visible from
the back of the large nut to the end. My original (dated 39-5), which my friend Roland restored, has 11 treads after adjustment..
Texas Swede

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on August 28, 2018, 07:09:59 AM
Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on August 27, 2018, 08:09:49 PM
Quote from: J_Speegle on August 26, 2018, 10:01:09 PM
Also other Ford products like the T-Birds
Tbird also had the larger 4 piston calipers. They will mount easily if you also get the adapters (which someone is remaking in aluminum).

IF you are referring to the "Big Ford" '67 calipers, yes they mount up. These are what was used on the '67 TA cars but they will not fit all wheels.

15" ten spokes take some finagling to fit.

The current "application" would refer to '67 Galaxie/Thunderbird, caliper and rotor.

Several people are manufacturing the adapter but they are made to fit on the '68 Mustang 428 drum brake hub which uses four bolts rather then the three bolt disc brake hub. This one uses a thicker diameter spindle as well.

The one that was used with the 60 series tires on the '69's.

They take a vented rotor that is "nominally" 12" od and is 1.25" thick.
Just to add that the big four piston caliper were used in 68 69 and 70 TA cars also. Interesting also is that on those years the single piston caliper normally up front was moved to the rear .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

98SVT - was 06GT

If I remember the standard 65-66 Tbird (Kelsey Hayes) caliper mount used 4 bolts and mounted on any Mustang spindle in place of the drum brake backing plate. You had to play around with the bearings depending on if you were using earlier spindles with smaller inner bearings.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

shelbydoug

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on September 03, 2018, 05:37:09 PM
If I remember the standard 65-66 Tbird (Kelsey Hayes) caliper mount used 4 bolts and mounted on any Mustang spindle in place of the drum brake backing plate. You had to play around with the bearings depending on if you were using earlier spindles with smaller inner bearings.

The drum brake spindles look the same, just machined differently for a thicker result. Earlier TA cars used the smaller diameter and bearing for it.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on September 03, 2018, 05:37:09 PM
You can not use the T bird caliper mount on the Mustang spindles. That would be too easy. A custom caliper mount has to be made To accommodate the big calipers onto the Mustang spindle. The 1970 drum brake spindle is preferred because it is beefier. It used to be voodoo magic to come up with some big brake conversion caliper brackets . Now Cobra Automotive sells them to all that want them.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby