News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Need Help Identifying 64' 289 HiPo Block

Started by Scode67FB, August 26, 2018, 06:26:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scode67FB

Hi All,
New member here. I've been reading this Forum for years but never registered since I don't own a Shelby. I've tried to get help with this on other Forums that I'm a member of but have had little success. Here's the deal. I recently acquired a 289 HiPo motor of miss-matched date codes. The block is a "C40E-6015-C (5-bolt) with a "3L21" date code. I think it's too early for a 65' Mustang. I suppose it could be okay for a 64' Fairlane. I can't see a VIN on it in the usual spot for a Mustang. I don't know if Fairlanes got the same treatment. I haven't found any info on them. Somewhere on this Forum I read that the blocks for the 289 Cobras were marked differently. I can't find the thread now, but it stated that the Cobras had the VIN or some other identifying marks stamped on the left side of the block. I don't remember if the markings are supposed on or near the rear of the block. I also don't remember what the markings are supposed to look like. The only things I van find are a group of four numbers stamped onto a smooth pad just below the deck near the left rear of the block. Is this what I'm supposed to be looking for? Anyone have a pic of what I should be looking for? Any help is appreciated.

Dan Case

All five bolt HP289s shipped from the Ford engine plant before about the end of June 1964 to be installed in new cars received Ford serial numbers. Engines supplied as service assemblies or engines sent to Shelby American after that did not get Ford serial numbers. The serial numbers had nothing to do with what kind of new car street or race they were installed into.  Ford had to have service assemblies available, legal requirement, for years. Castings made during the 1963-64 production runs could have ended up in over the counter replacement engines assembled years after production. I have seen data on a five bolt HP289 assembled in 1971.

A November 1963 block casting was during the 1964 model year so Fairlanes, Comets, Cobras, Griffiths, and a few other low volume cars could have been possible. It could have been just purchased over the counter.

The only engines that I know of that can be tracked in any way are most of the ones installed in new Cobras because engine numbers Ford applied were normally included in the invoicing and sales documents for new Cobras. Cobras and their original engine numbers is not published information, no need to make it easier for con artists.

Date a block was cast plus the date assembled can narrow down a time frame it was available for a new car or over the counter.
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

Scode67FB

Quote from: Dan Case on August 26, 2018, 10:35:01 AM
A November 1963 block casting was during the 1964 model year so Fairlanes, Comets, Cobras, Griffiths, and a few other low volume cars could have been possible. It could have been just purchased over the counter.

Thanks for your input. Would these cars (other than the Cobra) have had the VIN stamped on the block the same way the Mustang did? I suppose this block could be a "service block." I just thought that a service part would likely have a later date.
I want to sell this, but I want to get a good idea of what it is. Narrowing down what it is seems to be easier by determining what it isn't. Thanks again.

Dan Case

Quote from: Scode67FB on August 26, 2018, 06:17:05 PM

Thanks for your input. Would these cars (other than the Cobra) have had the VIN stamped on the block the same way the Mustang did?

You are welcome. VINs on other cars, no sir, not Ford or Shelby American wise. I don't know about the other companies that bought engines for low volume new cars.
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

Scode67FB

Just thought I'd bring this to the top again and add a few pics. Maybe some new eyes will have other info.

There is no VIN on it in the usual spot for Mustangs. This number is on a small pad on the left side of the block.

Also, maybe someone can tell me what the deal is with these straps across the freeze plugs. I know I've seen it before but never had an explanation for it.

SFM6S087

I tried clicking on your links with no success. Fist I had to wait almost 5 minutes for the page to load, and then it appeared to be the home page for some photo sharing site - not the useful picture that I'm sure you meant to share. If it matters, this was at 2:56 am on 9/5/18 on an old laptop computer running Windows-7 and using Internet Explorer.

Maybe other forum users will get better results.

Steve

Shane

I can see the photos just fine.

Don't know about out the origin of the engine, but it is my understanding that retaining straps are sometimes added to the core plugs of an engine that has a high pressure cooling system. I believe it is intended to reduce the amount of coolant that gets dumped on a track if a plug fails. I'm not a racer and haven't used these straps myself, but I'm guessing several people here have first-hand experience and can confirm if the reasons I've been told ... hold water.

(I will show myself out).