Author Topic: 69 rear body panel color  (Read 3374 times)

corbins

• View Profile
69 rear body panel color
« on: September 15, 2018, 05:41:04 PM »
going to paint the taillight panel for a buddy. Is there a specific "satin black" color that should be used? Also the qrt extensions  have a small inside curve that is also satin black, but these seem to have a "texture" to them. Is this correct ? or should they be a smooth finish.
Thanks for any advice !

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: 69 rear body panel color
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 09:46:53 PM »
going to paint the taillight panel for a buddy. Is there a specific "satin black" color that should be used? Also the qrt extensions  have a small inside curve that is also satin black, but these seem to have a "texture" to them. Is this correct ? or should they be a smooth finish.
Thanks for any advice !
Fastbacks endcaps are grained and convertible endcaps are smooth . It is common for the fastback end caps to get the pressed in grain effect sanded off during previous paint jobs. If the grain is gone there are things you can do but it isn't easy.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 12:11:28 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

corbins

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 06:51:00 PM »
Thanks Bob !  But the taillight panel is not grained , correct ?
Appreciate the help !

TOBKOB

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 10:10:56 PM »
Tail light panel should have grain.

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 12:56:38 AM »
Thanks Bob !  But the taillight panel is not grained , correct ?
Appreciate the help !
Only the early production tail panels do not have a pressed in grain texture . The early tail panels instead use a texture paint that is sprayed on. The majority of the 69/70 Shelby tail panels have a pressed in grain texture made into the tail panel. Many times the grain on the later panels is sanded off during repairs or over aggressive paint prep.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 06:20:54 AM »
Also the qrt extensions  have a small inside curve that is also satin black, but these seem to have a "texture" to them. Is this correct ? or should they be a smooth finish.

Bob /Ed/Jeff,

I could be wrong, but I believe the OP was more concerned with the extension black out than the tail panel.

1584 had the extensions fairly smooth, with just a hint of orange peel on the black out. I attempted to duplicate, but did not get enough orange peel out of the spray bomb I used for the black out areas. Maybe that is a good thing.  ;)

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

corbins

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 10:05:11 AM »
Also the qrt extensions  have a small inside curve that is also satin black, but these seem to have a "texture" to them. Is this correct ? or should they be a smooth finish.

Bob /Ed/Jeff,

I could be wrong, but I believe the OP was more concerned with the extension black out than the tail panel.

1584 had the extensions fairly smooth, with just a hint of orange peel on the black out. I attempted to duplicate, but did not get enough orange peel out of the spray bomb I used for the black out areas. Maybe that is a good thing.  ;)

Bill

Bill, actually both... I could see the texture on the extensions, but taillight panel is a repro I believe, so I'll have to try and figure out how to achieve that look.

SNAKEBIT

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2018, 04:38:01 PM »
Could we have some pics for the grain/no grain panels? How about the '70 models?
Waitin' for the day I get my first '70 Shelby convertible!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2018, 05:32:58 PM »
Could we have some pics for the grain/no grain panels? How about the '70 models?
All 70 models should have the later grained style.  The other style is only smooth if all of the paint is taken off. The paint texture on the early style tail panel is a pebbly effect similar to the 69/70 speckled trunk mat  in texture in of course black on the tailpanel. I don't have too good of a picture but you can get a sense of the texture of the paint. This was on #738. I posted a grained texture panel also for comparison. FYI the examples are convertible and so the endcaps have the black out portion smooth.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 12:13:36 AM by Bob Gaines »

SNAKEBIT

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2018, 04:56:04 PM »
Thanks, that clears things up a little bit for me. There certainly are tons of things to learn about what is and isn't correct for a production car. It'll be a fun journey.  :P

corbins

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2018, 06:22:16 PM »
Thanks for posting Bob!  boy that's a pretty heavy / thick looking grain in that panel. Looks like a damn dash pad . It'll be a challenge to duplicate for sure...  gonna take some trial and error.

SNAKEBIT

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2018, 11:24:20 PM »
Are there any repros of these taillight panels that are the exact same? Any paint that will wrinkle correctly?