Author Topic: Spark Plug ID tags, 1966 GT350  (Read 2569 times)

kram350

• View Profile
Spark Plug ID tags, 1966 GT350
« on: August 30, 2018, 10:40:33 PM »
Saw for sale on eBay;

"Spark Plug Wire I.D. Tag Set (Pair) for 1966 289 Ford Motor Company Products.

Tags are located on either the #1 or #4 plug wire (Passenger Side) and on the #8 wire (Driver Side). They are placed after boot at distributor cap."

They are marked C6AF-12280G.

Never have seen these in pictures of original cars or discussed? Should these be present on a 1966 GT350? Other years offered too. Any comments appreciated.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Spark Plug ID tags, 1966 GT350
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 02:18:13 AM »
Saw for sale on eBay;

"Spark Plug Wire I.D. Tag Set (Pair) for 1966 289 Ford Motor Company Products.

Tags are located on either the #1 or #4 plug wire (Passenger Side) and on the #8 wire (Driver Side). They are placed after boot at distributor cap."

They are marked C6AF-12280G.

Never have seen these in pictures of original cars or discussed? Should these be present on a 1966 GT350? Other years offered too. Any comments appreciated.
A couple reason why . The most important is that they were located down low on the wire near the boot and not up top like the vendor claims. This is why you don't see them in the many engine shots of 65-70 Shelby's.Another reason why is they didn't last long in that down low position being so close to the exhaust manifold heat. They no doubt quickly got French fired and when paper turns brittle it doesn't take much wind to blow them off and away. I always wondered about the placement of those tags until some years ago one of the Detroit based vendors at the Columbus swap meet brought some assemblyline wires that came out of the plant somehow  ::) lunch box maybe. He had a few sets but only of one side . They were later styles but the examples explained the process. I picked up a couple later styles for reference pieces.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Special Ed

• View Profile
Re: Spark Plug ID tags, 1966 GT350
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 07:35:36 AM »
I have had several different sets of plug wires over the years that still had this ford enginneer part #s still on them & they came from detroit area parts vendors or swap meets or from an engine tester once i got a bag full of odd ford plug wires that still had them on. Years ago i sent them  (and many other original tags & assembly line decals)to ECS to have them made since dave takes the time to get tags & decals made exactly like the originals if you have a good example to copy. The 2 different white ford #s on each set of wires determined the left bank 5678 from right bank 1234 since each side was preassembled & wires routed in proper places and positions with the combs  and valve cover holder clips all in alignment so they fell into place when installed. The LH side had wires routed 7568 so they wont crossfire or arch since 7&8 fire together just look at firing order & you will see why. The LH bank plug wire routing detail is often done wrong 5678 instead of 7568 just look in assembly manual it shows proper plug wire routing.