News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

69 GT350 transmission fluid

Started by SChatman, September 03, 2018, 01:21:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SChatman

Recommended Transmission fluid, my car hasn't been running since the days of Type F. I've heard several opinions suggesting Mercon synthetic and people say no Type F.
Thoughts?

rhjanes

My local NAPA shows to still have Type-F on the shelf.  I had my C-4 rebuilt about 4 years back.  I asked the rebuilder and they said to use the Type-F or Mercon would also be fine.  I used Type-F from NAPA (Think it was Valvoline)
Pirating!  Corporate take-over without the paperwork

SChatman

I've found type F at the auto parts stores but the Transmission guys are saying the Mercon V is better and NPD sells Motorcraft Type F and Mercon V and charges more for the F. I haven't heard any reasons why one over the other yet, you'd think that rebuilders would be able say why. 
Thanks for your reply

rhjanes

Up to you then.  I got to trying to recall my old memory tapes.  I think my tranny guys said the same as yours are!  I might have filled it with Mercon! I'd have to dig to see if I kept a receipt for the fluid.  I know I kept the rebuild receipt.  Anyway, if the tranny guys are saying Mercon V if good then go with it.  They should know the rebuild kit they used would be OK with either fluid.

KR Convertible

My local Walmart has type F for $2 something a quart.  The auto parts stores charge $5-7.

rhjanes

Quote from: KR Convertible on September 04, 2018, 10:44:44 AM
My local Walmart has type F for $2 something a quart.  The auto parts stores charge $5-7.
Is that the generic stuff?  Yeah, I've used it also.  Got a few quarts of it out in the shop. 

zray

The best type F is the synthetic version of B&M Trick Shift

the 2nd best is the conventional B&M Trick Shift

These products are NOT additives, but a stand alone type F fluid.

Z

PS.   The above reccomendations are applicable to the fluid choise in the vintage ball drive Paxton supercharger..  my last Paxton had 75,000 + miles on it with ZERO maintenance other than changing the  synthetic B&M fluid fluid at every oil change. Numerous high speed endurance runs on the course of the Big Bend Open Road Race, 53 miles each way @ maximum rpm 95% of the time.  A fluid cooler was also installed.  If you have a Paxton this is the way to keep it from wearing out. At the time I sold the Paxton, I sent it to Craig C to have it checked out. He reported it had no wear and needed nothing.

SChatman

Thanks everyone fo the suggestions. I'm being told by the transmission experts that I've since talked to That say the Mercon V is better then Type F because it's updated with better additives and the synthetic is even better. Thanks again.

KR Convertible

Quote from: rhjanes on September 04, 2018, 08:42:41 PM
Quote from: KR Convertible on September 04, 2018, 10:44:44 AM
Is that the generic stuff?  Yeah, I've used it also.  Got a few quarts of it out in the shop. 

Yup.  The bottle says Supertech

FL SAAC

Quote from: SChatman on September 05, 2018, 10:03:26 PM
Thanks everyone fo the suggestions. I'm being told by the transmission experts that I've since talked to That say the Mercon V is better then Type F because it's updated with better additives and the synthetic is even better. Thanks again.

+ 1
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert