Author Topic: 69 GT350 transmission fluid  (Read 2614 times)

SChatman

• View Profile
69 GT350 transmission fluid
« on: September 03, 2018, 01:21:32 PM »
Recommended Transmission fluid, my car hasn’t been running since the days of Type F. I’ve heard several opinions suggesting Mercon synthetic and people say no Type F.
Thoughts?

rhjanes

• R "Junior" Janes
    • View Profile
Re: 69 GT350 transmission fluid
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 02:34:59 PM »
My local NAPA shows to still have Type-F on the shelf.  I had my C-4 rebuilt about 4 years back.  I asked the rebuilder and they said to use the Type-F or Mercon would also be fine.  I used Type-F from NAPA (Think it was Valvoline)
Pirating!  Corporate take-over without the paperwork

SChatman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 09:06:51 PM »
I’ve found type F at the auto parts stores but the Transmission guys are saying the Mercon V is better and NPD sells Motorcraft Type F and Mercon V and charges more for the F. I haven’t heard any reasons why one over the other yet, you’d think that rebuilders would be able say why. 
 Thanks for your reply

rhjanes

• R "Junior" Janes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 10:12:06 PM »
Up to you then.  I got to trying to recall my old memory tapes.  I think my tranny guys said the same as yours are!  I might have filled it with Mercon! I'd have to dig to see if I kept a receipt for the fluid.  I know I kept the rebuild receipt.  Anyway, if the tranny guys are saying Mercon V if good then go with it.  They should know the rebuild kit they used would be OK with either fluid.

KR Convertible

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 10:44:44 AM »
My local Walmart has type F for $2 something a quart.  The auto parts stores charge $5-7.

rhjanes

• R "Junior" Janes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 08:42:41 PM »
My local Walmart has type F for $2 something a quart.  The auto parts stores charge $5-7.
  Is that the generic stuff?  Yeah, I've used it also.  Got a few quarts of it out in the shop. 

zray

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2018, 04:24:31 PM »
The best type F is the synthetic version of B&M Trick Shift

the 2nd best is the conventional B&M Trick Shift

These products are NOT additives, but a stand alone type F fluid.

Z

PS.   The above reccomendations are applicable to the fluid choise in the vintage ball drive Paxton supercharger..  my last Paxton had 75,000 + miles on it with ZERO maintenance other than changing the  synthetic B&M fluid fluid at every oil change. Numerous high speed endurance runs on the course of the Big Bend Open Road Race, 53 miles each way @ maximum rpm 95% of the time.  A fluid cooler was also installed.  If you have a Paxton this is the way to keep it from wearing out. At the time I sold the Paxton, I sent it to Craig C to have it checked out. He reported it had no wear and needed nothing.

SChatman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2018, 10:03:26 PM »
Thanks everyone fo the suggestions. I’m being told by the transmission experts that I’ve since talked to That say the Mercon V is better then Type F because it’s updated with better additives and the synthetic is even better. Thanks again.

KR Convertible

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2018, 08:05:48 PM »
  Is that the generic stuff?  Yeah, I've used it also.  Got a few quarts of it out in the shop. 

Yup.  The bottle says Supertech

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2018, 11:17:01 PM »
Thanks everyone fo the suggestions. I’m being told by the transmission experts that I’ve since talked to That say the Mercon V is better then Type F because it’s updated with better additives and the synthetic is even better. Thanks again.

+ 1
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy