News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

... for someone who wants to make there own “Eleanor” - NO!

Started by 67_1183, September 03, 2018, 04:38:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tesgt350

Quote from: Greg on September 04, 2018, 03:51:45 PM
This is what I predict it would cost to have a nice show car.....if you want to take it to the top, obviously the cost goes up.

$62k - Car
$15k for the motor if its all there and salvageable
$35-40K in body and paint work
$10-15k in Misc (trans, rear resto included)
= $132,000 "best case"

$35 to $40K for Paint & Body?  Wow, How many Naps, Smoke Breaks and Monkeying around are you paying for?

roddster

Quote from: tesgt350 on September 05, 2018, 10:16:18 AM
Quote from: Greg on September 04, 2018, 03:51:45 PM
This is what I predict it would cost to have a nice show car.....if you want to take it to the top, obviously the cost goes up.

$62k - Car
$15k for the motor if its all there and salvageable
$35-40K in body and paint work
$10-15k in Misc (trans, rear resto included)
= $132,000 "best case"

$35 to $40K for Paint & Body?  Wow, How many Naps, Smoke Breaks and Monkeying around are you paying for?
[/quote]

All of them

deathsled

[/quote]

LOL!!!
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Chris Thauberger

^^^

Just goes to show how many are unaware of the cost of paint and body done correctly (not Maaco or your local shop  ;) )

What do you all think its going to cost to get Little Red into paint (paint and body)?
Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

CharlesTurner

Most body shop labor is $75 or more per hour.  To take a car like this to concours level paint/body would be a minimum of 500 hours, plus materials.  If the car is pristine metal, very minimal body work required, maybe a little less... but I would wager that a car like that would cost more upfront anyway, so the difference is a wash.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Coralsnake

+1

I agree there a lot of people that think they are going to get by for a few thousand dollars. If its done correctly, its going to be expensive

I dont see parts on that estimate...you are not going to reuse any rubber or get away without buying some replacement items

If you are questioning those numbers, Im guessing you havent built a show car, because you cant cheat with cheap reproduction parts either

Maybe there is a paint and body guy that will chime in?

tesgt350

Quote from: CharlesTurner on September 05, 2018, 11:37:15 AM
Most body shop labor is $75 or more per hour.  To take a car like this to concours level paint/body would be a minimum of 500 hours, plus materials.  If the car is pristine metal, very minimal body work required, maybe a little less... but I would wager that a car like that would cost more upfront anyway, so the difference is a wash.

I have done lots of Body work and I have even spent time writing Body Repair Estimates at a local Body Shop and the Body Shop Owner couldn't believe how accurate I was on the Time Needed for the Repairs.  Most reputable Shops would lower the Hourly Rate on the Big Jobs like what you are talking about because those are the Gravy jobs while the Insurance and smaller Jobs are the Meat & Potato's of the business.

427heaven

Quote from: Chris Thauberger on September 05, 2018, 11:21:41 AM
^^^

Just goes to show how many are unaware of the cost of paint and body done correctly (not Maaco or your local shop  ;) )

What do you all think its going to cost to get Little Red into paint (paint and body)?
I think most are understanding what a quality paint job costs on here. The difference is CRAIG can and will pay 30-50k for a possible paint job, HELL why not make it 100k right :-\ That's the sliding scale... Can he afford it, of course he can, and he will pay more than a regular schmoe to get that job done.

gt350shelb

If you are not going to do any of the work yourself. and hire out whole job its  800-1000 hours. I would say about 1/2 is paint and body .  plus  parts that all depends on where you want it to finish !
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

Quote from: tesgt350 on September 05, 2018, 10:16:18 AM

Paint starts at $25,000 in my area too.

And that is on a super nice specimen that you brought to them perfectly disassembled, cleaned and ready to go.

Of course, I am not talking about production facilities doing insurance repairs.

Coralsnake

I think most are understanding what a quality paint job costs on here. The difference is CRAIG can and will pay 30-50k for a possible paint job, HELL why not make it 100k right :-\ That's the sliding scale... Can he afford it, of course he can, and he will pay more than a regular schmoe to get that job done.

Since you want to make it personal, I think its a little disrespectful to say someone is going to charge more, because the customer has more money.

I think the people restoring the car have a little more integrity than that and probably wouldnt enjoy the good reputation they have, if that were accurate.

The number of hours it takes doesnt change to do the work.

Im  curious why these "regular schmoes" who are getting their "show cars" done so much cheaper arent bringing those cars out for recognition?

Not every owner wants a concourse restoration.  Not every car deserves a concours restoration.

Jon

deathsled

I'm out and about in red but generally a blur on the road. I don't wait around too long to be seen.  If I did I might get rear ended.  I did win a local show last year. My car was done in the 90s by Legendary Motor Car. She's a day eleventeen car and highly offensive to anything concourse.  So I am not thinking 4 dimensionally here. Prices in the 90s for paint and body are not prices currently. I concede that paint and body is very expensive these days but look at the artwork you get when it's all done. It is worth it and restoration looks like hard work to boot. Restorers earn every bit of their money and they deserve to make a profit as does everybody else in their chosen fields of endeavor. And mine felt costly in the 90s at my then young age of 30. Hell it likely cost me my first marriage. She left but the Shelby stayed. I don't regret the cost of the restoration one bit. In the words of Da Vinci when a woman complained about the cost of his painting that took him but a couple hours to create. "You are not paying for two hours of work but the 25 years it took to get to this point."

Best,

Richard E.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Quote from: DC-DD on September 04, 2018, 07:47:12 PM
Maybe its just me but I think this is a great car for someone looking to get into a '67  500 at the low end  and its a good color and 4 spd car .  If your in business and thinking of restoring and selling then maybe not the car.  But If it's your hobby then who cares what it cost. IT'S A HOBBY, right? especially if you are mechanically inclined and motivated.
I mean if you go hunting you do not keep track of how much each gun costs and hunting licence and all your ammo you shoot . Targets and range time and hunting trips.  Golf do you keep track of all the golf trips or course fees, lost balls, broken tees, think NOT.  Do we dare talk about fishing!! That List  is endless. 

The point  is you do not expect to make money in any other hobby so why think that way for this hobby you will find more enjoyment in the car hobby if you do not put a dollar amount on everything that you do or do not do to the car of your dreams. 

Not every car needs to be restored to concours standards there is nothing wrong with a great restoration and driving it .

Now to get back to burning the rest of my NIKE sneakers!!! ;) ;D :P

Dominic

Well said Dom...and Pete.  I could not agree more.

Coralsnake