News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Service replacement hipo question

Started by bhoulis, January 23, 2018, 07:38:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhoulis

Would a service replacement 289 Hipo motor, circa early 70s, have come with Boss302 rods or 289HP rods. 289HP or 302Mexican block? Thanks. Brian

roddster

This won't be the answer you are looking for, but here goes.  It will depend on the build date of the service motor.  Its not like the assembly plant is going to build one motor.  No, they'll build many.  20, 50 100 or more.  And, figure "Boss 302" rods, so when were those available?
  Mexican blocks?  Very likely the entire service motor was built in Mexico, even back then due to the low volume.  Especially if there is a 70's decade build date.

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

My C8 289 HIPO service replacement block installed in 1973 had "289" in the lifter galley. Rod bolts were 3/8" but not sure if they were Boss or real 289 HIPO.
Worked at a L/M dealer and a new service short block was $325. Ordered one, didn't come in, ordered another didn't come in, ordered 10, and then 1 showed up with a damaged box and a cracked rear main lip seal. Argued with the parts manager why I was not going to take it, next week all the other 11 showed up. Picked the best looked undamaged box and sent the rest back. Wonder what ever became of them
Engine is still in the car today
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎