Author Topic: Original 1966 GT350 Package Tray  (Read 4952 times)

6s1640

• View Profile
Re: Original 1966 GT350 Package Tray
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2018, 11:45:14 PM »
Are there any records that tell which 66 cars came from SA with the ABS package shelves?  I assume it was also a Ford, over the counter available option also?
Thanks, Karl
6s281

Hi Karl,  What is crazy is I find no offerings for these trays in any of the old literature.  I will conjecture, the cost to making the 65 trays was too labor intensive and expensive.  To keep the two seater sport car designation, SAI decided to pay for expensive tooling to vacuum form the 66 trays out of plastic and dramatically reduce the per cost of each tray.  However, I expect the bean counters saw that these trays were not selling well and more buyers wanted the back seat that could be added to the purchase price.  (Remember, it is a business to make money.)  So, SAI dropped the tray and the production.  The business case to make the trays from plastic was a failure.  Not enough trays were made and sold to justify the cost of the tooling.  So there are the only approximate 80 or so cars that got the tray.  Years ago I did see a NOS tray sell on a popular auction site for around $6k.  Any one know who got that?

What do you think?

Cory

SFM6S087

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2018, 04:18:22 AM »
Are there any records that tell which 66 cars came from SA with the ABS package shelves?  I assume it was also a Ford, over the counter available option also?
Thanks, Karl
6s281

Somewhere between 96 and 100 1966 GT350's received factory package trays.
83 carryovers confirmed (one more was ordered, but can't be confirmed as being built that way)
13 cars after 6S252 confirmed (2 more suspected)
For a total of 96 confirmed packaged tray cars

But it's possible that they built 100 cars like that for homologation reasons, and we just don't have accurate records for the other 4 cars.

Steve

shelby6s170

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2019, 11:26:21 AM »
Cory,

Do you have the dimensions on the wooden parts?  of the aluminum angle?  I have an original shelf but no wooden parts.

Tim

TJinSA

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2019, 12:17:37 PM »
Another observation from the field.  Through the years of observing original package trays (in situ), I found they had variances in how the edges of the front drop-off were trimmed. Some left a bit of an angle on either side; inconsistent with the amount.  Lacking Mr Speegle and other's dutiful note taking, I cannot quote their serial numbers.  One was a car from central Colorado, others at the 84(?) Anaheim national, one in Pensacola from elsewhere, and my own car.
Tom Kubler
6S296

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2019, 12:51:54 PM »
Cory,

Do you have the dimensions on the wooden parts?  of the aluminum angle?  I have an original shelf but no wooden parts.

Tim

Hi Tim,  Yes, I have the exact dimensions of all the pieces.   I have enough parts to make a few more plus all the screws to attach to the tray.  I have a buddy that works in a sheet metal shop that made the "Z" brackets with a shear and brake press, just like originals.  I have sourced the exact extrusion for the strike and have period roofing galvanized nails.   I use nice knot free Doug Fir for the wood.   I like a $100 plus the ride.  My prior reply has an image of one I made for myself.  I can make more.  Please send me a PM if your are interested.

Thanks

Cory

« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 01:09:50 PM by 6s1640 »

acman63

• View Profile
    • Shelby Parts and Restoration  since 1977
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2019, 05:06:54 PM »
Hi All,  Here is the pair of support braces I made by reverse engineering from an original pair.   I was able to find the exact aluminum angle for the trap door catch and had the "Z" brackets made professionally.    Any body with a repop or original tray missing these pieces could use these pieces to make their tray more functional. What do you think?

Take care

Cory

Welcome to the wonderful world of quality  reproduction shelby parts - glad to have you join our group.   (-:
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2019, 07:15:01 PM »
That sounds like a fantastic deal to me. Anyone that needs the correct looking hardware would be crazy to pass that up .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2019, 07:54:29 AM »
The pictures of the original wood bracing are pictures of clear American red oak, not Doug Fir.

It was a good solution in 1965 but had no concern for long term longevity. Unbraced wood like that will just twist and warp just like the ABS plastic will. Today's solution would use some kind of an inert stable plastic in it's place.

Roofing nails is an interesting application. Those things are not intended to be hammered into a hardwood and often the heads will fracture and snap off.

Oak really isn't the way to go in something like this. The reality is that it is just plentiful and grows like a weed in the forest. Therefore it is easy to get. It's not the material of choice.

I've had a fiberglass reproduction in my car since about 1981 or '82. It doesn't need any bracing at all, just the aluminum catch added.

The plastic ones are notorious for not being able to be left in the sun without twisting and warping all over.

If you have a car that you think was supposed to have one of these things originally, then by all means lust for an original but for any other purpose, use the fiberglass unit and get on with the rest of your life and important details.

What I would recommend is to fill the hollow void beneath with sprayed in shipping foam inside of plastic recycling bags so that it doesn't stick to anything as it cures to the interior shape of the voids.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 10:03:21 AM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!