News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Sleeping Beauty wakes up

Started by 427heaven, January 23, 2018, 09:40:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J_Speegle

Quote from: JD on October 17, 2019, 04:24:03 PM
I believe "not" - Bob G or Jeff S would know better...

Guess we have three "nots"  And no not going there :)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

shelbydoug

In my car, those bolts that you describe are for the front bolt on flange of the roll bar, not the seat belts.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on October 18, 2019, 11:02:33 AM
In my car, those bolts that you describe are for the front bolt on flange of the roll bar, not the seat belts.
The outside appearance of the bolt should be hex on the roll bar bolt if it was factory installed.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

427heaven

Happy Holidays to all! I have a little time to work on my car and was wondering about my exhaust. I have the exhaust running out the rear valance about 2 inches. Since it is built using a few upgraded pieces for performance the question is how far is the correct tips to stick out the rear valance ? Did the original cars have the polished trim to go around the surround or did that get added by many owners for a little extra bling. My car is running 2. 5 exhaust does anyone make tips for that size pipe? Be safe and enjoy your rides- :)

JD

See attached, stick-out on a stock car with factory parts, note this is a later car with the "GT" rear valance.

Regarding the "bright" trim, there were a couple types used BUT  those were only used on the early cars that rear valance that did/does not have any exhaust cut-outs and the workers at Shelby American hand cut them and then added the (one of the types of) trim pieces.  So if your car has the GT valance no trim rings, but if you wanted to add some you'll have to fabricate some to match the wide opening as the were never any made for those.

If you did the early version and hand cut openings you can use some '66 GT exhaust trim rings and cut some of the bottoms off like most of the early cars got.  There were two versions of "flat" trim also used but those you'd have to make from scratch.

(I think there are cars up and into the 14XX's with the early style rear valance - the valance was installed by Ford at San Jose. I would guess the change to the GT valance was to simplify and speed-up completion of the cars and reduce costs)
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 427heaven on December 15, 2019, 09:31:15 AM
Happy Holidays to all! I have a little time to work on my car and was wondering about my exhaust. I have the exhaust running out the rear valance about 2 inches. Since it is built using a few upgraded pieces for performance the question is how far is the correct tips to stick out the rear valance ? Did the original cars have the polished trim to go around the surround or did that get added by many owners for a little extra bling. My car is running 2. 5 exhaust does anyone make tips for that size pipe? Be safe and enjoy your rides- :)
Years ago I had a 2.5 exhaust on one of my 67 GT500's . I had my Muffler shop swedge down a 3 in pipe to 2.5 and then chop to end at the same angle and the same length as the stock tip. I took the tip and then had it chrome plated. That was the best way for me to have a exact looking tip to fit the 2.5 exhaust.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

427heaven

Thanks JD- BOB for the great pics and explanation of things. I have the wide cut out with no bright work but would like some trim to clean things up down there. It looks like it is incomplete without the trim to me. Any ideas what people are using to modify that, a standard GT trim maybe?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 427heaven on December 16, 2019, 10:33:11 PM
Thanks JD- BOB for the great pics and explanation of things. I have the wide cut out with no bright work but would like some trim to clean things up down there. It looks like it is incomplete without the trim to me. Any ideas what people are using to modify that, a standard GT trim maybe?
To each their own but it was only used on the early 67 Shelby's from SA for good reason.  Do you realize that ether style trim was used on the plain rear valance after notches were cut out of the sheet metal. SA cut out openings in the plain valance for the duel exhaust tips and the trim hid the rough edges.  Nether of the factory trim pieces will work if you have the factory Ford duel exhaust valance. I have a extra pr of the die cast trim for the rear valance used on early 67 Shelby's and GTE's. The other style is made from modifying the 66 duel exhaust bezels.

427heaven

After a lot of thought I will keep the exterior as built, even the exhaust system looks. Merry Christmas everyone! :)

1967 eight barrel

And still not a single picture...

427heaven

Can someone please PM me with simple picture posting procedures... For someone that's a little (TARDY TO THE PARTY) That's one of my new years resolutions. Thanks-

427heaven

The SCOTTSDALE party has begun.. Going to try and get there for some of the activities... Don't want to be tardy to this party, World record prices are in the air, we shall see. ;)

427heaven

Another BJ in the books... Had a great time meeting up with old friends and meeting a few new ones, including our own ''Special Ed". I wont reference that anymore, but it was great exchanging automotive pleasantries, and kind words about Sleeping Beauty. Hope all had a great time and have a safe trip back to many of those frozen locales. Until next time be safe and enjoy your rides! :)

Royce Peterson

I think you mean the Cougar XR7-G, not GT-E. The GT-E never used a cutout in the valance nor any sort of exhaust trim.

Quote from: Bob Gaines on December 16, 2019, 11:07:14 PM
Quote from: 427heaven on December 16, 2019, 10:33:11 PM
To each their own but it was only used on the early 67 Shelby's from SA for good reason.  Do you realize that ether style trim was used on the plain rear valance after notches were cut out of the sheet metal. SA cut out openings in the plain valance for the duel exhaust tips and the trim hid the rough edges.  Nether of the factory trim pieces will work if you have the factory Ford duel exhaust valance. I have a extra pr of the die cast trim for the rear valance used on early 67 Shelby's and GTE's. The other style is made from modifying the 66 duel exhaust bezels.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

427heaven

Thanks Royce for an update on those pieces. I have a bit of a conundrum my car was built in the latter part of the first 1/3 of production. So its not real early and doesn't have factory tin snip cut outs  :-[ and its a later version of the rear valance so the shape of the trim to surround the cut out, really doesn't exist as a factory piece off of anything else?